• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite condiment

What are your spending habits when it comes to condiments?  Do you make your own in preference to commercially made or store produced ones?

Soba, this reminded me that I would someday like to start canning. I have made quick pickles, chutneys and jams, but it would be lovely to be able to build up a supply for the winter months, or to give away as gifts. And yes, I have given baskets of condiments, salsas, etc. as gifts.

And I would love to make homemade mayo, but cannot seem to find a source of pasteurised eggs in the DC area. I have no problem with raw eggs, but hesitate to serve them to my little ones.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Sriracha, Lea & Perrins, multiple mustards, soy sauce in many versions and flavors, just about anything from Hong Kong Market that I don't know what to do with, Hellmans.

Homemade:

A Chiapas style ancho chile paste (with ginger, allspice and other stuff) that I got from Zarela Martinez' book. That stuff is good on EVERYTHING.

A Tampico style tomatillo sauce that started with Zarela's recipe and evolved via suggestions from friends from Tampico. It is fabulous with fish, shrimp, eggs, just about everything else.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

WOW! This thread has given me an idea for whenever I finally re-do my kitchen: a fridge just for my condiments. Of course, it will probably be the size of most normal people's normal refrigerators. Then I'll just need a small one for the milk, juice, eggs, etc. (we don't eat much cheese :sad: ).

Does anyone know if it might be any spices that would be bad to store in the fridge (even assuming they were well-sealed from the moisture)?

I too own the condiment cemetery - 2 whole shelves in the refrigerator.. but in a bind, I am lately rediscovering chipotle... on everything where siracha wont do. Yum, especially in a dressing with lime and olive oil... goes amazing with raw tuna and cooked shrimp

for rice - japanese furikaki, definitely.

for soups - bitter orange extract (fermented at home with oregano and garlic and shallots, oh yum... gotta go get me some) :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

I ressurected this thread to announce a personal discovery:

After browsing through the Mexico forum I got hungry for the quicky chilequiles with Fritos. I saw this new (to me) brand of bottled salsa verde next to my usual Herdez that I use when I am too lazy to make my own. It is La Victoria, packed in California. I used the Thick 'n' Chunky. WOW! It is ALMOST as good as my own. Has anyone tried any of their other salsas?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose