• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ninety Grand Grille

stefanyb

Help! Anyone!  What should I have?

Stefanyb,

If the Tuna rolls are still on try them.  I had them once.  Interesting presentation.  Also the Calves liver was very good.  Breaded in what seemed to me to be danish onion crumbs.  The Tuna I ate there was very good also.  Though i would have preferred a bit more char on the fish (personal preference).

The menu is kind of 'Craft-like', or what I Imagine craft to be(never having eaten there :smile: ).  You build your own dishes,  selecting from mains, sides, toppings, and sauces.

It can be a lot of fun.  Hope you enjoy yourself :smile:

Nick

• 3 months later...

The restaurant 90 Grand took out a full page ad in the Sunday NJ section of the Times. Pix of the chef, relatives, etc.

Has anybody had dinner there? I've been past it several times, but never stopped in...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 3 months later...

This place is in Englewood, Not Eng Cliffs--

Saw it made the NY Times VG List-- Friends have told me that this could be the MOST expensive place in NJ, and for no good reason! For a few bucks more you could do Ducasse in NY!! And when driving by, it looks like a big Lincoln/Cadillac crowd there. Any more input, anybody been there, too expensive, what did the Times like?

"MOST expensive place in NJ,"??? Really? How much would a dinner for two cost?

David Corcoran recommended coconut shrimp, a napoleon of salmon-tuna tartare, lentil soup, lamb chops, ostrich, tuna and chocolate mousse pyramid in his review of 2/10/02. He also said that the base price for entrees were $22 to $32.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

"MOST expensive place in NJ,"???  Really?  How much would a dinner for two cost?

David Corcoran recommended coconut shrimp, a napoleon of salmon-tuna tartare, lentil soup, lamb chops, ostrich, tuna and chocolate mousse pyramid in his review of 2/10/02. He also said that the base price for entrees were $22 to $32.

Not really Rosie (most expensive). But it is kind of a "joint" (in the best sense of the word), much as Smoke's Chophouse and Solaia, and Grissini are "joints". They serve as hangouts for the well-heeled locals. Jamie Milkman has successfully moved his clientle from Jamie's over to 90 Grand Grill.

Licolns and Caddies (as well as BMWs and Mercedes with a DB7 and Ferrari thrown in for spice) yes, but consider the location also. NE Bergen County.

Nick

Licolns and Caddies (as well as BMWs and Mercedes with a DB7 and Ferrari thrown in for spice) yes, but consider the location also.  NE Bergen County.

This proves that having big bucks and a fancy car doesn't give you good taste in restaurants.

I'll take an Egullet recommendation any day.

I don't think it proves very much, per se :smile: . Certainly my posts intention wasn't made to prove anything good, bad or indifferent. Only to confirm that 90 Grand Grille is located in a pretty affluent part of NJ and (IMO) seeks to market itself to the high end. Which is hard *not* to do in downtown Englewood.

I like eGullet restaurant recs also, but I also like David Corcoran, and enjoy reading him even when we have gross differences of opinion (Petite Paris comes to mind).

FWIW: David Corcoran's review of 90 Grand Grille

cheers

Nick

Nick, you sound like a politician. You did, after all, call this place a "joint". Englewood is sort of eclectic, when it comes to money-- the towns to the South and West are quite moderate, middle-income, even blue collar areas. To the north, some very expensive real estate. But Englewood also has Saigon and It's Greek to Me; unassuming, moderately priced, VERY GOOD food places.

If I wanted to spend $75 PP, I would probably be much better suited at an Egullet fave, America in Tenafly, only 5 minutes North of this place. (A lot of Acuras and Volvos in their parking lot)!! :rolleyes:

"MOST expensive place in NJ,"???  Really?  How much would a dinner for two cost?

Not really Rosie (most expensive). But it is kind of a "joint" (in the best sense of the word), much as Smoke's Chophouse and Solaia, and Grissini are "joints". They serve as hangouts for the well-heeled locals. Jamie Milkman has successfully moved his clientle from Jamie's over to 90 Grand Grill.

Licolns and Caddies (as well as BMWs and Mercedes with a DB7 and Ferrari thrown in for spice) yes, but consider the location also. NE Bergen County.

Nick

I believe the establishment is directly across the street from the newish Jaguar dealership, too.

Bergen County is often in the top few counties in wealth in the US, along with Fairfield. At one point, maybe still, Alpine had the highest per capita income of any municipality in the US.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I said a "joint" in the best sense of the word (21 Club, and The Grill Room at The Four Seasons also qualify under that definition).

Ducasse or Jean Georges it ain't and it would be worth dining with you if you could teach me how to get out of America for less than 150 bucks a couple. :wink:

Nick

• 2 months later...

I just last nite had my 2nd visit here & I think it is wonderful.

It is indeed pricey. I had caeser salad & duck & my wife had shrimp app & steak & we shared a desert & had no alchohol & we were at $110 with the tip.

I cant afford to go often but it is definitely worth it. We live nearby & used to go to Grisini as our once in a while splurge but I think 90 grand is much better for about the same money.

Any one else have any opinions about this place - I never saw a mention here.

90 Grand Avenue.

Englewood NJ.

Chef/owner Jamie Milkman, formerly of Jamies (later Robin's) and now Zanni. Kind of a mix and match concept. I've not ever been to Craft, but I always thought that this was a take on that, in a very loose way.

A pretty luxe place. Some like it some don't. I ate there once. I liked it and am not afraid to recommend it. The usual disclaimer applies. :smile:

Nick

My husband and I went to 90 Grand for Valentines day. We enjoyed it very much. We both had french onion soup which was delicious. I had the rack of lamb and my husband the chilean sea bass. For dessert we shared a chocolate souffle which was very good. The best souffle I ever had was at Cafe Martinque in Paradise Island. This souffle came very close. We had no liquor. The bill including the tip came to $121.00. We enjoyed the meal and would go back for a special occasion( like introducing another couple to the restaurant). :laugh:

• 1 year later...

There were many notable first impressions that I had at Ninety Grand Grille, 90 Grand Avenue, Englewood. The tables are spaced far apart, the room is quiet, the comfortable padded seats had armrests, and the bread—the first thing one has at a restaurant--was fabulous. We were told that it comes from Balthazar Bakery which is just down the street. Served with sweet butter the toasted pita triangles and hearty Italian bread were hard to resist. But the rest of our meal was just as impressive and I am sorry I haven’t discovered this restaurant before now. There’s also a new chef manning the stoves here--Charles Weber, previously of ZuZu Restaurant, Napa Valley, California.

We started off with a Grand chopped salad made with red leaf lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, olives, and chickpeas dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette. The portion was big and could easily have served two. We also had a fabulous unusual roasted spaghetti squash salad with artichoke, portobello, and eggplant. I never would have thought to use cold spaghetti squash in a salad but it was wonderful. The two fish entrees we had were outstanding. The grilled Moroccan spice tuna was accompanied by seaweed salad and an addictive tomato goat cheese beurre blanc. It was one of the best pieces of tuna I have had in a long time. Lowell’s mahi-mahi with mangos, papaya, jicama, tomatoes and an onion confit was equally delicious.

Dessert, a chocolate mousse dome, was beautifully presented and worth all the calories. Coffee was very good. Our dessert and coffees were comped and with a $32 bottle of wine, tax, and tip the bill was $129. For reservations call 201-568-5959.

Anyone been here?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I have. I also thoroughly enjoyed the 90 Below Cigar and Wine bar downstairs. Huge fireplace, giant flat screen TV, big comfortable leather chairs. You can get full service of food from upstairs too. Great service by the barstaff too. A great place to enjoy a cigar and a port wine after dinner. Hopefully a place like this would be exempt from any foolish smoking ban in NJ in the future.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I was there for lunch last week. The food was good but not spectacular. The desserts, a lemon tartlet and a caramel bomb, were excellent and beautifully plated. The service, however was less than stellar. The waiter took beverage orders and never checked back so my dinner partner never ordered the glass of wine he later wanted. Coffee was served, but a refill was never offered. The bussing was better than the waiting.