• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying very expensive old wines

Bloated

I went into Jeroboams wine shop in Belgravia last week and they had single bottles of DRC La Tache 1979 (£564), 1945 d'Yqem (no label, £1000), as well as many similarly highly-priced wines on one of their shelves.

I have never bought wine at those prices but I still find it difficult to believe that someone would buy a wine of that age 'off the shelf' as it were...

Jeroboams is owned by Laytons, who are a reputable wine merchant. I personally would not worry that the wine is on a shelf as they well know the risks involved with heat/sunlight.

If you were interested I could sell you a bottle of 1944 Yquem at half the price as well as some 1955s. If you are worried about provenance these bottles have been lying in one of my customers cellars since "new".