• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cucumbers

fyfas

So tonight I'm making some scallops with a tomato/cucumber relish... really simple; scallops rolled in a crushed coriander seed/mustard seed combo before grilling.

Question is about the cucumber called for in the relish. In the market I notice regular cucumbers and (for a little more money) an ostensibly seedless cucumber wrapped in cellophane coming from - of all places in winter - Canada !

I cannot remember ever buying the seedless one before though I've seen them. Something in me says that in exchange for the seedless "convenience" I'm going to lose some flavor or have a different taste than I expect.

Any and all thoughts and comments on these two beasts to be used outside of a salad are appreciated.

Bob Sherwood

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

I think what you are seeing is what we used to call "burpless" cucumbers here down south. My mother grew them many moons ago before they showed up in the markets. I love the things. I am not particularly sensitive to cucumbers (burp!) but I like these a lot. They taste like a cucumber but the skin is usually tender so you don't peel them. They have only a few immature seeds and a really nice crunch. I like the texture better than your average salad cucumber.

From Canada??? They don't have any sun so it is hard for me to see how even greenhouses would work. But then, they have SQUARE MILES of greenhouses in The Netherlands where they grow those perfect (and somewhat tasteless) colored bell peppers, tomatoes and those cucumbers. Go figure.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

You won't lose any flavour. You'll lose the fun of getting those wonderful little seeds stuck in your teeth, though - if that really matters.

And yea, up here in Canada we live in the darkness like a bunch of beer-swigging, lumberjack hermits. The sun actually causes our flesh to melt. But then, at least we didn't elect George W. Bush as our leader.

I like the seedless English cucumbers better than the seedy type. And BC Hot House grows all sorts of tasteless greenhouse vegetables (peppers, lettuce, and especially tomatoes), but the cucumbers are probably their best product.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I use whatever is on sale.

RE the ones with seeds - just cut them in half lengthwise and take a spoon and scrape out the seeds. It's extremely easy.

And in my stores anyway, the regular cukes are often less than half the cost of the fancier versions.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I mostly buy the seedless; no need to pare or seed, so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. :rolleyes: Although in the summer usually it's kirbies from the Greenmarket.

Besides, the seedless ones are never bitter, as regular large cucumbers tend to be.

These seedless (English or Hot house cukes) ones are the only ones I buy, they are sweet, crunchy, no need to peel and ...no nasty pulp/sseds. Go for it, especially in a relish.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Okay, y'all. I'm totally convinced. And I'll admit, I hate handling those unsettling "waxy" skins that the "regular" cucumbers invariably have.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Japanese and Lebanese cucumbers are the way to go for most things.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

As others have eluded to, seedless cucumbers are not like seedless watermelon where you lose some taste without seeds.

The better cucumbers are small, seedless and are the Japanese or Lebanese type as Jinmyo pointed out. They aren't widely available though.

I also discovered an amazing combination: fresh tarragon and cucumber. I would ditch the coriander in favor of it.

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

Thanks all !

I was never really "concerned" about the seeds or the labor involved removing them; just suspected that (like seedless watermelons) there might be a taste difference/preference, one over the other. Cukes are something I usually just grab and don't think about but (God help me) something started me thinking that day in the produce aisle.

And, as always, you guys came through with other considerations... like finding a Lebanese cucumber for flavor and how all of this might have some relevance to the sorry state of United States politics. Never mind ! Didn't mean that. Focus on food ! I won't go there :rolleyes:

And, whoever said forget the coriander seed was right. Didn't work at all.

Bob Sherwood

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher