• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garlic Presses

insalata_pazza

Oxo has a great garlic press and it's cheap - about ten bucks. When I use a garlic press, I use this one. (Sometimes I chop by hand.) It has an ingenious cleaning thingie on it with no separate pieces to keep track of. I am not convinced that hand chopping is better than using a garlic press - so I just use whatever is most convenient at the time.

What about, say, 9-14 cloves?  Do you just stand there, mouth agape, arms folded, with your eyes jumping back and forth from your knife to your processor?

Only sometimes, it depends on how much I've been drinking!

Really, if I'm mincing more than 5 or 6 cloves, I'll go to my small food processor:

647371-elec_lg-resized200.jpg

It's quick, easy and most importantly it's easy to clean. But personally, I really love to mince garlice. Something romantic about it I suppose, as dorky as that sounds. That and I REALLY like wielding my chef's knife.

i use a spice grinder thingy to do garlic if i have more than 5 cloves or so.  and it's great for lemongrass, ginger, and galangal as well.

Don't you be giving me any shit over a garlic press if you use a spice mill for garlic!!!! :wacko:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Do you have a separate coffee grinder for coffee? I imagine that all of those herbs and spices would taint any coffee ground in there. I only use my coffee grinder for pepper and other hard seeds. For what you've mentioned I'd use my chopper.

I bought it the day I did my last batch of kielbasa. It paid for itself the first day! There was no way I was going to mince 7 effin' heads of garlic by hand.

Do you have a separate coffee grinder for coffee? I imagine that all of those herbs and spices would taint any coffee ground in there. I only use my coffee grinder for pepper and other hard seeds. For what you've mentioned I'd use my chopper.

i don't grind coffee.

this thing is a chopper/spice grinder thingie.

this thing, yo:

B00004S9EQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Oh, then we basically have the same thing. What about large amounts of pepper?

edit: or mustard seeds?

it handles quite a bit. small batches if necessary. it goes quickly. i don't often do more than a few tablespoons of spices on any given day. 2 or 3 batches, in about 1 minute, and i'm done. i love the thing. i think it's brilliant.

it handles mustard seeds as well.

A couple of days ago I got an Omessi "E-Z-Rol" garlic peeler. It works GREAT!

Put a clove (haven't tried it with more than one) in the roll, roll it on the table or cutting board under your palm, and PRESTO... a perfectly peeled clove.

More info at  Epinion.

It works best for one clove at a time. It can do two or sometimes three if the cloves are about the same size, but if one is appreciably larger than the other(s), it doesn't work so well.

I just use a knife (unless I'm grinding in a mortar or using a stick blender for a Southeast Asian chile sauce).

Don't like gadgets because I spend much more time getting them out, setting them up and so on then it takes to just wipe the knife and board and go to the next thing.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

What about, say, 9-14 cloves?  Do you just stand there, mouth agape, arms folded, with your eyes jumping back and forth from your knife to your processor?

Only sometimes, it depends on how much I've been drinking!

Really, if I'm mincing more than 5 or 6 cloves, I'll go to my small food processor:

647371-elec_lg-resized200.jpg

It's quick, easy and most importantly it's easy to clean. But personally, I really love to mince garlice. Something romantic about it I suppose, as dorky as that sounds. That and I REALLY like wielding my chef's knife.

I want one of these! Where do I find one?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I want one of these!  Where do I find one?

You can buy it here.

I however picked it up at my local Fred Meyer here in Seattle.

Cool. Now I just have to find it in Canada. Or on my next trip to Seattle

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.