• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanger Steak

Ron Johnson

I get it for $8.99 a pound at the local farmer's market. Its a really small operation that produces organic beef, meaning that I have to wait for it (I sometimes have to wait a month). The butcher/raiser of cattle says that there was an onglet craze a couple of years ago due to some kind of publicity but that nowadays its generally only chefs from the local French restaurant (L'Etoile) that ask for it. They really seem to be my only competition. I have to buy the entire tender from him which generally comes to around 12 dollars. I think its a great deal and I love the cut (especially for the price).

Madison, Wi where I'm living now does not (as far as I have ascertained) have a very metropolitan food culture (its difficult to find good cheese that isn't cheddar for instance and the wine lists at most restaurants are often derivitive and uninteresting). The trendyness factor in dining here is quite low, so any rise in demand due to it seems to have been momentary. In any case, the farmer's market here is good and fresh local produce is plentiful.

It's a popular cut here in Vancouver - due in no small part to the Hamilton Street Grill.

I find that it takes a marinate very well - and in fact benefits from strong flavors to balance the rich beefiness. The two recent treatments that I've liked the best is a Korean style marinate (sake, soy, ginger, garlic, scallions, and chili flakes) and a lime based marinate. Both times the meat was grilled rare and then sliced thin. Simply tremendous.

But the cut is the classic onglet steak used for steak frites - so a simple salt and pepper grilling is all you need. As noted above - if you purchase the hangar steak with both 'lobes' fully intact - simply remove the gristly connective tissue between the lobes. I usually pan fry it up and gobble it down - cook's treat.

Edited by canucklehead (log)