• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alligator meat

Kobicook

Finally, my first topis post! Have been lurking forever.

Made a Norman Van Aken recipe for a salad with alligator meat, greens, vegetables and blue cheese. We had frozen gator tails from New Orleans. We've had gator before and liked it. But in the salad it was WAY TOO fishy. What should I have done? A friend said I should have soaked the meat in salt to draw the unpleasant taste out -- like you do with eggplant. Any other thoughts?

I wouldnt say its fishy. Kind of like a tough pork.

Alligator is particularly good in spicy sausage when used in a gumbo. I've also had fried alligator nuggets, but they were a bit tough. The fibers in the meat need to be broken down.

0a883ba42373db39df43510a67ddba04.jpg

Frank's Smokehouse Alligator Sausage

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I wouldnt say its fishy. Kind of like a tough pork.

Had some in Louisiana. It fit that description. Another white meat, fried and not too tender, but I don't recall anything fishy about it. Maybe there were passing pork off on tourists for all I know.

Alligator is particularly good in spicy sausage when used in a gumbo. I've also had fried alligator nuggets, but they were a bit tough.

Never had it in sausage. About those nuggets, anything like Rocky Mountain Oysters? Tough nuggets, that's a bitch.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bux Posted on Feb 24 2003, 09:34 PM

...I've also had fried alligator nuggets, but they were a bit tough.

... About those nuggets, anything like Rocky Mountain Oysters?

The Buckhorn Exchange in Denver includes alligator and rocky mountain oysters in an appetizer selection; the oysters seem delicate and tender compared to the alligator. :unsure:

Orik  Posted on Feb 25 2003, 03:58 AM

how about some fishy moose?

Great fishy moose :biggrin:

• 9 years later...