• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sinking streusel makes my coffee cakes bake up flat

lizztwozee

Hello Bakers! The coffeecakes pictured have been baked with a layer of cinnamon streusel containing flour, cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar. The streusel is layered on top and in between two layers of vanilla batter. The batter is soft like pudding, and doesn’t seem to hold the streusel up strongly enough for the cake to rise very much when baked. Any thoughts about the proportion of flour to eggs and butter, etc. in the dough that would make a difference? I’m thinking of just increasing the flour a little bit, but I don’t know what other accommodations could be made. The streusel is like sand, and doesn’t clump at all, so I thought it would be light enough for the batter to push it up. Nope!

IMG_0676.thumb.jpeg.1cc90f93d66d845f627bf57840a0527c.jpeg

Here’s a quick breakdown of the vanilla batter ingredients by weight: 6 ounces butter, 10 ounces sugar, 10 ounces yogurt, three eggs (6 ounces), 10 ounces flour, and the usual vanilla, salt, baking powder and baking soda.

IMG_0677.jpeg

Lizz

---

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

-Wayne Gretzky

one thing I noticed right off - looks like the sides/ends are rising up pretty fast, and perhaps folding in?

one trick I have used on soft batters - let it bake 10-15 minutes, then (open oven) sprinkle on the struesel.  a smidge more (cold) butter will help with the texture - some lumps are "good" mefinds.....

if you like the taste/consistency of the finished loaf - I'd reduce the yogurt as a first try.  yogurt is a pretty undefined thing in terms of moisture, etc. -

• Like 2