• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato canning questions

tinpanalley

Just some questions I'm struggling with...

1. Totally on board that tomatoes alone are simpler and more versatile than adding other things like onion, garlic, basil, etc. No problem. The state of those tomatoes is irrelevant though, right? Whole, chunks, a chunk/pulp mix. Does that matter?
  2. I see recipes that people seem to take from books like a Ball book of canning recipes but like this one they have onions and things. So, why is that possible if I was under the impression that you can never add anything other than tomato and citric acid? And if it is possible can they last the same time as a jar of only tomatoes?

Thank you!

No replies yet, so I thought I would get something started, though it has been quite a few years since I did any serious canning.

Someone like @Shelbymay have better answers but I'll give it a go. 

On 9/16/2024 at 3:05 PM, tinpanalley said:

The state of those tomatoes is irrelevant though, right? Whole, chunks, a chunk/pulp mix. Does that matter?

I do think the state matters. As far as I can remember (and from what I see from a quick search) whole tomatoes will need more processing time than crushed tomatoes, for example.

Looking at the National Center for Home Food Preservation, there are some differences. See here for a recommended boiling water bath time of 35 to 45 minutes for crushed tomatoes while whole or halved tomatoes may have a recommended time of 85 minutes. The recommended processing times vary depending on whether the tomatoes are packed with hot water or tomato juice or tomatoes alone. I think the reasons behind this variation have to do with the density of the contents - i.e. whole tomatoes take longer to heat through than crushed tomatoes? 

Your second question: You can definitely can tomatoes with other ingredients. Think about canning salsas, for example. Your processing times will vary somewhat, depending on ingredients and acidity. 

The concern about canning tomatoes on their own is usually making sure they have the right acidity and that's why citric acid or lemon juice is added. And some salsa or tomato sauce recipes will advise against changing the proportion of ingredients because it may affect the overall acidity. And I think the general rule is that properly canned jars will last about a year. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FauxPas said:

And I think the general rule is that properly canned jars will last about a year. 

I can attest that canned salsa lasts well for several years. I believe my canned tomatoes, back when I did those, also lasted over a year. There may eventually be a deterioration in quality, but as long as the seal is still good I'd open and eat them.

Thanks for jumping in here, @FauxPas. I hadn't spotted the question before now. I think your answers are all good ones.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Sorry!  I've been a bit MIA lately.  @FauxPas did great.  The only thing I would add is that halving the bigger tomatoes makes it easier to get them in the jar.  The heating process before you actually put the tomatoes in the jars breaks them down quite a bit so I just cut the bigger ones.  How long to keep them in the water bath depends on what altitude you're canning at.  I'm in KS and I do mine for 45 mins.

Oh one more thing.  The old fashioned tomatoes like Big Boys ...Early Girls etc.  should have enough acid to not have to worry about adding.  It's the yellows San Marzano etc.  that have less acid that you need to worry about.

• Thanks 1