• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gond Katira......say what?!

TicTac

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20240715-gond-katira-a-natural-way-to-cool-down-in-indias-scorching-summers

After reading the above article recently and delving down the rabbit hole that is Gond Katira, I found myself intrigued and poised to click "place order" on my amazon cart.

Prior to doing so I thought I would share this with you fine folks to see if anyone has ever heard of this stuff, let alone used it - and if so; your thoughts?

Seems pretty interesting....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20240715-gond-katira-a-natural-way-to-cool-down-in-indias-scorching-summers

After reading the above article recently and delving down the rabbit hole that is Gond Katira, I found myself intrigued and poised to click "place order" on my amazon cart.

Prior to doing so I thought I would share this with you fine folks to see if anyone has ever heard of this stuff, let alone used it - and if so; your thoughts?

Seems pretty interesting....

It does indeed seem interesting. 

Report back!

• Like 1

Guess what - Punjab market has it for $3.99 (might have been $2.99). I was out running around picking up some juices to help one of my guys with his withdrawal symptoms - was in the right end of town - had to check. 

IMG_69182.thumb.JPG.8a19e361d1259f3a0942d137b1399c97.JPG

• Like 1

This is widely available here under the name Tragacanth Gum. Pretty expensive in local terms though, at ¥176 per 100g ($24.22 / 100g USD). Those with local Chinese markets or stores might find it there under any of these names 黃蓍膠;膠黃;龍須膠. My favourite is the last; it literally means 'Dragon's Beard Gum'.

O1CN01F00t4s1r696RayOej___2966905581.thumb.jpg.c9ed0f37fe14504cf6fd80e906312f71.jpg

I've never used the stuff, so can't comment on its efficacy.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto