• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wireless leave-in meat thermometer with cooking time estimation and NO companion app

Hello,

Can you recommend a wireless leave-in meat thermometer that has a little LCD reading out estimated cook time and no companion app?

I used a friend's Meater recently, and it ticks all my boxes (including accurate cook time estimates), but it requires you to sit there grilling with the app on your telephone.

Thanks!

Seems like the app is doing a bunch of computing. So you'd need a standalone computer-type device? Seems a more expensive method.

It looks like Thermoworks might have what you need.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

From Thermoworks I only see wired probes, and no estimated remaining cook time - unless I'm missing something?

I don't believe that the computation needed (for estimating remaining cook time) is so complicated that it requires a smartphone...

1 hour ago, Larry Sanbourne said:

From Thermoworks I only see wired probes, and no estimated remaining cook time - unless I'm missing something?

I think you're correct.  While Thermoworks sells base units with Bluetooth and WiFi capability, and they have apps, I believe all their probes are wired.  I just ordered items from them.

You want a combustion inc predictive thermometer. Much better tech than the meater and is just as happy being app based as it is working with its LCD display. 

They have eight temperature probes in each device so can accurately find the core temp as well as tracking surface and ambient temps. 

time estimation is excellent for straightforward cooks (eg a steak or roast chicken), ultra low and slow things which have a stall are still a work in progress but the software is getting better all the time. 

www.combustion.inc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure you won't be disappointed!  They're a great bit of kit and do the things you're after really well.

If you're on reddit, the team (including Chris Young) are really responsive and helpful on the dedicated sub:  r/combustion_inc 

16 hours ago, &roid said:

...working with its LCD display. 

Stand-alone capability should be included on all these things, even if they're also Bluetooth and/or WiFi.

I was recently shopping for a fan/controller for a barbecue.  I ended up buying a Thermoworks Billows that works with my ThermaQ 2 base.  $70 vs.  $270 for all the connectivity, which I don't need.  And the Type K format is much better than the mini-plug (Thermistor) system.  However, a wireless probe(s) that would connect to this base unit would be nice.