• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

The fish market is behind the central market. Being next to the water makes it easier to unload fish from returning fishing boats. Small speed boats are like water taxis. People who live on nearby islands or stilt/water villages use them.
25JbnQdx_o.jpg

My new favourite seaweed. Comes in big "clusters" looking exactly like green coral. Now that I've been to markets in every place on the trip so far and they all have both this and the caviar seaweed.

Beautiful seaweed. It's quite heavy for its size. Has a large capacity for storing (sea) water.
TXdLdbsC_o.jpg

When I was done making this photo I removed one big cluster from the basket and asked the young fishmonger how much to pay. He could speak very little English and I zero Malay... He was able to tell me the entire basket would cost me 5 ringgits ($1.06). I couldn't possibly eat all of it. I pressed a 1 ringgit ($0,21) note into his hand (I really wanted to eat a little bit of this seaweed raw later). He staunchly refused and pressed the money back into my hand. He said it was OK, and that I have come from so far away. He let me keep a small amount of this beautiful seaweed. This is just one of the many of my encounters with friendly and kind locals on this trip. At the end of the day when I was looking at the photos again I thought maybe I should have bought the whole basket and gave the rest to the market eatery where I enjoyed my small lunch of seaweed and mango salad.
uQOTxtvt_o.jpg

Tiny caviar seaweed seems always sold in portions on a plate.
TidDu2AB_o.jpg

gchBMVhW_o.jpg

Flatfish are so big and fat. I never see them so big at home.
VdMErItZ_o.jpg

A huge fish head for the curry. Fish head curry is very popular.
tc5vAvMI_o.jpg

Smaller ones for smaller portions of fish head curry
80iaI052_o.jpg

There are at least 3 different species of shark in this photo. I see a small hammerhead. A few stalls had sharks. Not sure if catches and species of anything are strictly controlled here. If you are the easily squimish or Green Peace type of person then stay far away from fish/meat markets in some developing countries.

Ey4TQvrW_o.jpg

Many types of crustacean, especially lobsters.
ZJwbiD4P_o.jpg

Kj944BdZ_o.jpg

First time seeing these scallops. Brown  and smooth shells with no ridges.
5ZvNUqTC_o.jpg

5ZvNUqTC_o.jpg

On the way out I tried to make one last photo thinking the 3 men would not notice. When I looked at the photo much later and guess what, they all saw what I did. They even posed for me. Some market/street vendors actually asked me to take their photos. Who am I to say no to that?!
7P5VCIZk_o.jpg

-----------

A few last photos taken in the capital.

My hotel is about 50m/yd on the same street. Bought water from this shop every day. Check out the name and fruit.
Mj20JWtF_o.jpg

5AUKHiQZ_o.jpg

All the hotels never miss a chance to remind you specific fruits and foods that are verboten. Signs are clearly visible from the moment you approach the check-in counter, wait for the lift and enter it, and in your room as well.
g2BH8YE6_o.jpg

ySW4GUki_o.jpg

"American breakfast" in Sabah usually looks like this:
XFNQx6BD_o.jpg

Crispy fish skin snacks. My favourite is still salted egg (everything).
9nttewBt_o.jpg

Sabah used to known as British North Borneo and Jesselton was its capital. After WW2 it was reduced to rubble. This small clock tower was the only structure that remained.
WBeXTkrW_o.jpg

KenT, yes the biggest market in town. Food stalls are located on the level above where I ate the best salads of mango and seaweed at this simple eatery. I have been eating mango salad whenever I see it but it's not exactly the same. Every vendor has their own recipes.

BonVivant

BonVivant

The fish market is behind the central market. Being next to the water makes it easier to unload fish from returning fishing boats. Small speed boats are like water taxis. People who live on nearby islands or stilt/water villages use them.
25JbnQdx_o.jpg

My new favourite seaweed. Comes in big "clusters" looking exactly like green coral. Now that I've been to markets in every place on the trip so far and they all have both this and the caviar seaweed.

Beautiful seaweed. It's quite heavy for its size. Has a large capacity for storing (sea) water.
TXdLdbsC_o.jpg

When I was done making this photo I removed one big cluster from the basket and asked the young fishmonger how much to pay. He could speak very little English and I zero Malay... He was able to tell me the entire basket would cost me 5 ringgits ($1.06). I couldn't possibly eat all of it. I pressed a 1 ringgit ($0,21) note into his hand (I really wanted to eat a litle bit of this seaweed raw later). He staunchly refused and pressed the money back into my hand. He said it was OK, and that I have come from so far away. This is just one of the many of my encounters with friendly and kind locals on this trip. At the end of the day when I was looking at the photos again I thought maybe I should have bought the whole basket and gave the rest to the market eatery where I enjoyed my small lunch of seaweed and mango salad.
uQOTxtvt_o.jpg

Tiny caviar seaweed seems always sold in portions on a plate.
TidDu2AB_o.jpg

gchBMVhW_o.jpg

Flatfish are so big and fat. I never see them so big at home.
VdMErItZ_o.jpg

A huge fish head for the curry. Fish head curry is very popular.
tc5vAvMI_o.jpg

Smaller ones for smaller portions of fish head curry
80iaI052_o.jpg

There are at least 3 different species of shark in this photo. I see a small hammerhead. A few stalls had sharks. Not sure if catches and species of anything are strictly controlled here. If you are the easily squimish or Green Peace type of person then stay far away from fish/meat markets in some developing countries.

Ey4TQvrW_o.jpg

Many types of crustacean, especially lobsters.
ZJwbiD4P_o.jpg

Kj944BdZ_o.jpg

First time seeing these scallops. Brown  and smooth shells with no ridges.
5ZvNUqTC_o.jpg

5ZvNUqTC_o.jpg

On the way out I tried to make one last photo thinking the 3 men would not notice. When I looked at the photo much later and guess what, they all saw what I did. They even posed for me. Some market/street vendors actually asked me to take their photos. Who am I to say no to that?!
7P5VCIZk_o.jpg

-----------

A few last photos taken in the capital.

My hotel is about 50m/yd on the same street. Bought water from this shop every day. Check out the name and fruit.
Mj20JWtF_o.jpg

5AUKHiQZ_o.jpg

All the hotels never miss a chance to remind you specific fruits and foods that are verboten. Signs are clearly visible from the moment you approach the check-in counter, wait for the lift and enter it, and in your room as well.
g2BH8YE6_o.jpg

ySW4GUki_o.jpg

"American breakfast" in Sabah usually looks like this:
XFNQx6BD_o.jpg

Crispy fish skin snacks. My favourite is still salted egg (everything).
9nttewBt_o.jpg

Sabah used to known as British North Borneo and Jesselton was its capital. After WW2 it was reduced to rubble. This small clock tower was the only structure that remained.
WBeXTkrW_o.jpg

KenT, yes the biggest market in town. Food stalls are located on the level above where I ate the best salads of mango and seaweed at this simple eatery. I have been eating mango salad whenever I see it but it's not exactly the same. Every vendor has their own recipes.