• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

We first visited peninsular Malaysia in 2001. We were not in any hurry to return but we knew when we did it would be Malaysian Borneo. And now we are back!
R7oNmkE7_o.jpg

I have been checking the weather forecast every day prior to departure. "Thundery showers" and "severe weather warnings" every day. Yesterday morning we had better weather than "severe weather warnings" in the forecast.
NyfnvuJI_o.jpg

Hello Sabah!
3jKJVe44_o.jpg

Temperatures hover round mid 30C/90F with very high humidity. Yikes! We are immediately reminded why we would rather not visit countries farther south or closer to the equator, or just too hot and humid in general. The most modern city in Sabah, the capital.
BIPy5G48_o.jpg

Lots of places to eat on my street alone. Couldn't check in until early afternoon so we had coffee at a busy kedai kopi in the neighbourhood of the hotel. Nice black coffee (Malaysian Borneo has its own coffee production). The ice cubes here are safe. A proper restaurant buys ice from a supplier. The partner won't consume anything with ice in it, though. Iced drinks cost a fraction more, btw.
AxqMA09t_o.jpg

Next time we'll have 3 each.
JJtsrYXH_o.jpg

A busy kedai kopi (coffeehouse) with own pastries and steamed buns, as well as typical local noodle soups and rice dishes. The prices of food in the capital are amazing. Even cheaper in smaller towns.
8KSzvGPn_o.jpg

First meal was at this well-regarded organic restaurant in the suburb (only a short taxi ride away). We chose the best time to come and had the place to ourselves for the first half hour. The restaurant has its own farms from where their vegetables, huge prawns, chickens, fish etc come from.  

Always young/green coconut whenever possible. It's one of my absolute favourite thing to drink (and eat the opaque flesh) when in a tropical country.
9qmnkpNJ_o.jpg

Soft tofu with shiitake and egg whites. I don't like the slimy cornflour sauce in any food. But besides the slime we liked the tofu (which the restaurant makes their own).
CrOOVaLS_o.jpg

Sambal kangkung with prawns (easier for the partner to eat peeled prawns).
IwzDzivw_o.jpg

For myself... huge prawns with salted yolk sauce.
v8r2uMad_o.jpg

Shells in sambal belacan (= beh-lah-chan). It's all about the sauce for me. There is very little meat and hard to pull it out of the shell using a toothpick. The meat is too deep inside the shell. But in the end I did manage to eat them all.
DXCTBZDw_o.jpg

We are no Hainan chicken experts. It still tasted good to us.
SMJmsK0J_o.jpg

It was a big meal for us. Took 2 hours to eat. Friendly, interested and kind staff. The restaurant (and its good reputation) is very, very well-deserved. There are a few more things om their menu we want to try before we leave the capital.

Malaysia on the world map. Borneo is a huge island (world's 3rd largest) and distances are vast.
TlbEfyhp_o.jpg

Position of Sabah in Malaysian Borneo. In my 2001 Malaysia travel guide the writer recommended to skip the rest of south eastern Sabah. Some Western governments still advise their citizens to avoid travelling to this part of the world.
HxPb1nxb_o.jpg

The guide book on left I bought in 2001 for the first trip to Malaysia (and Singapore). The style of writing for the Borneo section is irritating (the writer's personality comes through). I have also read the new Borneo guide by another publisher (on right in this photo), whose style is quite different. But it's good to get ideas and opinions from different sources.
stCj9dLP_o.jpg

Took us long enough but we are happy to be here, finally (after deciding to skip Mexico this year)!

BonVivant

BonVivant

We first visited peninsular Malaysia in 2001. We were not in any hurry to return but we knew when we did it would be Malaysian Borneo. And now we are back!
R7oNmkE7_o.jpg

I have been checking the weather forecast every day prior to departure. "Thundery showers" and "severe weather warnings" every day. Yesterday morning we had better weather than "severe weather warnings" in the forecast.
NyfnvuJI_o.jpg

Hello Sabah!
3jKJVe44_o.jpg

Temperatures hover round mid 30C/90F with very high humidity. Yikes! We are immediately reminded why we would rather not visit countries farther south or closer to the equator, or just too hot and humid in general. The most modern city in Sabah, the capital.
BIPy5G48_o.jpg

Lots of places to eat on my street alone. Couldn't check in until early afternoon so we had coffee at a busy kedai kopi in the neighbourhood of the hotel. Nice black coffee (Malaysian Borneo has its own coffee production). The ice cubes here are safe. A proper restaurant buys ice from a supplier. The partner won't consume anything with ice in it, though. Iced drinks cost a fraction more, btw.
AxqMA09t_o.jpg

JJtsrYXH_o.jpg

A busy kedai kopi (coffeehouse) with own pastries and steamed buns, as well as typical local noodle soups and rice dishes. The prices of food in the capital are amazing. Even cheaper in smaller towns.
8KSzvGPn_o.jpg

First meal was at this well-regarded organic restaurant in the suburb (only a short taxi ride away). We chose the best time to come and had the place to ourselves for the first half hour. The restaurant has its own farms from where their vegetables, huge prawns, chickens, fish etc come from.  

Always young/green coconut whenever possible. It's one of my absolute favourite thing to drink (and eat the opaque flesh) when in a tropical country.
9qmnkpNJ_o.jpg

Soft tofu with shiitake and egg whites. I don't like the slimy cornflour sauce in any food. But besides the slime we liked the tofu (which the restaurant makes their own).
CrOOVaLS_o.jpg

IwzDzivw_o.jpg

v8r2uMad_o.jpg

Shells in sambal belacan (= beh-lah-chan). It's all about the sauce for me. There is very little meat and hard to pull it out of the shell using a toothpick. The meat is too deep inside the shell. But in the end I did manage to eat them all.
DXCTBZDw_o.jpg

SMJmsK0J_o.jpg

It was a big meal for us. Took 2 hours to eat. Friendly, interested and kind staff. The restaurant (and its good reputation) is very, very well-deserved. There are a few more things om their menu we want to try before we leave the capital.

Malaysia on the world map. Borneo is a huge island (world's 3rd largest) and distances are vast.
TlbEfyhp_o.jpg

Position of Sabah in Malaysian Borneo. In my 2001 Malaysia travel guide the writer recommended to skip the rest of south eastern Sabah. Some Western governments still advise their citizens to avoid travelling in this part of the world.
HxPb1nxb_o.jpg

The guide book on left I bought in 2001 for the first trip to Malaysia (and Singapore). The style of writing for the Borneo section is irritating (the writer's personality comes through). I have also read the new Borneo guide by another publisher (on right in this photo), whose style is quite different. But it's good to get ideas and opinions from different sources.
stCj9dLP_o.jpg

Took us long enough but we are happy to be here, finally (after deciding to skip Mexico this year)!

BonVivant

BonVivant

R7oNmkE7_o.jpg

NyfnvuJI_o.jpg

Hello Sabah!
3jKJVe44_o.jpg

BIPy5G48_o.jpg

AxqMA09t_o.jpg

JJtsrYXH_o.jpg

8KSzvGPn_o.jpg

9qmnkpNJ_o.jpg

CrOOVaLS_o.jpg

IwzDzivw_o.jpg

v8r2uMad_o.jpg

DXCTBZDw_o.jpg

SMJmsK0J_o.jpg

It was a big meal for us. Took 2 hours to eat. Friendly, interested and kind staff. The restaurant (and its good reputation) is very, very well-deserved. There are a few more things we want to try next time.

TlbEfyhp_o.jpg

Position of Sabah in Malaysian Borneo. In my 2001 Malaysia travel guide the writer recommended to skip the rest of south eastern Sabah. Some Western governments still advise their citizens to avoid travelling in this part of the world.
HxPb1nxb_o.jpg

stCj9dLP_o.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

R7oNmkE7_o.jpg

NyfnvuJI_o.jpg

Hello Sabah!
3jKJVe44_o.jpg

BIPy5G48_o.jpg

AxqMA09t_o.jpg

JJtsrYXH_o.jpg

8KSzvGPn_o.jpg

9qmnkpNJ_o.jpg

CrOOVaLS_o.jpg

IwzDzivw_o.jpg

v8r2uMad_o.jpg

DXCTBZDw_o.jpg

SMJmsK0J_o.jpg

It was a big meal for us. Took 2 hours to eat. Friendly, interested and kind staff. The restaurant (and its good reputation) is very, very well-deserved. There are a few more things we want to try next time.

TlbEfyhp_o.jpg

HxPb1nxb_o.jpg

The guide book on left I bought in 2001 for the first trip to malaysia (and Singapore). The style of writing for the Borneo section is irritating (the writer's personality comes through). I have also read the new Borneo guide by another publisher (on right in this photo), whose style is quite different. But it's good to get ideas and opinions from different sources.
stCj9dLP_o.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

R7oNmkE7_o.jpg

NyfnvuJI_o.jpg

Hello Sabah!
3jKJVe44_o.jpg

BIPy5G48_o.jpg

AxqMA09t_o.jpg

JJtsrYXH_o.jpg

8KSzvGPn_o.jpg

9qmnkpNJ_o.jpg

CrOOVaLS_o.jpg

IwzDzivw_o.jpg

v8r2uMad_o.jpg

DXCTBZDw_o.jpg

SMJmsK0J_o.jpg

TlbEfyhp_o.jpg

HxPb1nxb_o.jpg

The guide book on left I bought in 2001 for the first trip to malaysia (and Singapore). The style of writing for the Borneo section is irritating (the writer's personality comes through). I have also read the new Borneo guide by another publisher (on right in this photo), whose style is quite different. But it's good to get ideas and opinions from different sources.
stCj9dLP_o.jpg

Took us long enough but we are happy to be here, finally!

One of the reasons we are here (after deciding to skip Mexico this year)! (See my new user photo on left)