• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

I made a pan-fried burger for lunch today.  It's something I rarely do, maybe three times a year, although I truly enjoy such a treat. I rarely make such a burger because my apartment gets smokey and smells somewhat greasy afterwards, and the smell lingers for a day or two.

Is there any way to minimize or, better yet, eliminate the grease in the air?  I use the vent over the stove but it does a poor job, and I open the windows and the apartment door to get better air flow through the place.  These things help, but the results are only marginally better.

Might there be a cut of meat that minimizes smoke and grease?  Cooking at a lower temp (I still would like a nice crust)?

Shel_B

Shel_B

I made a pan-fried burger for lunch today.  It's something I rarely do, maybe three times a year, although I truly enjoy such a treat. I rarely make such a burger because my apartment gets smokey and smells somewhat greasy afterwards, and the smell lingers for a day or two.

Is there any way to minimize or, better yet, eliminate the grease in the air?  I use the vent over the stove but it does a poor job, and I open the windows and the apartment door to get better air flow through the place.  These things help, but the results are only marginally better.