• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heating Buttermilk in Baking Application

Shel_B

ATK has a recipe for corn muffins that I like. It includes adding cornmeal to milk and heating it in the microwave. The idea behind the technique is that the heated cornmeal mixture absorbs more liquid resulting in moister muffins.

I like the recipe and would like to try something similar with buttermilk. I have read, in multiple places, the buttermilk should not be heated. In lieu of heating the mixture I allow the cornmeal to soak for a long time at room temperature in the buttermilk, and the results are pretty good.

Could the buttermilk be heated, perhaps on the stovetop instead of in the microwave, to affect better absorption.  I'm thinking to keep the temp no higher than 200-deg F.

... Shel

I think your substitution of a longer time at lower temp is a good one. You could even do overnight in the fridge.  B if you want to try the heat, go ahead. I'd keep it below 190°F.  If it curdles, it's easy enough to see and you're just out a bit of buttermilk and cornmeal. 

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think your substitution of a longer time at lower temp is a good one. You could even do overnight in the fridge.  B if you want to try the heat, go ahead. I'd keep it below 190°F.  If it curdles, it's easy enough to see and you're just out a bit of buttermilk and cornmeal. 

Thanks for your input.  Sometimes I need a little reassurance about my ideas.

The only drawback I can see from putting the mixture in the fridge overnight is that it would need time to come up to room temp before using it.  A minor issue to be sure.  I can't think of any other downside.

... Shel