• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Missing word

30 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I decided that the first recipe I'd tackle is for hamburger buns but I will shape and bake them as hot dog buns.  How crucial is the malt syrup?  I don't have any, but I do have diastatic malt powder, can I use that instead?  If yes, what would the substitution  ratio be?  The recipe calls for 2 grams of the syrup.

In her bagel book, Cathy Barrow says it’s OK to sub equal volumes non-diastatic malt powder for malt syrup. She does not recommend using diastatic malt powder but says honey, cane syrup, maple syrup or golden syrup can be used. 

2 g is a very small amount. A tablespoon of malt syrup weighs 21 g so 2 g would be around 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

11 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I decided that the first recipe I'd tackle is for hamburger buns but I will shape and bake them as hot dog buns.  How crucial is the malt syrup?  I don't have any, but I do have diastatic malt powder, can I use that instead?  If yes, what would the substitution  ratio be?  The recipe calls for 2 grams of the syrup.

In her bagel book, Cathy Barrow says it’s OK to sub equal volumes non-diastatic malt powder for malt syrup. She does not recommend using diastatic malt powder but says honey, cane syrup, maple syrup or golden syrup can be used. 

2 g is a very small amount. A tablespoon of malt weighs 21 g so 2 g would be around 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon.