• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

That looks like a huge room. Is it all one room in those photos, or are you showing us more than one kitchen?

It's all the one big room. Normal.

What's this in the foreground, if you remember?

image.png

I don't need to remember. I have one. It's a rice mill, used to grind grains down to a powder for various dishes.

Mine is a toy one sold as a souvenir, but  works on small quantities. When I dig it out of whatever box it's hiding in I'll demonstrate.

And is this a long-handled wok with a lid on? Is it set into a recess atop the stove?

image.png

No. What you are seeing as a handle is a flue pipe behind the stove.The work is the two looped handled type. It is set into a recess in the brick stove.

7 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Wow, thanks for sharing these photos.  Do the Yao eschew modern things or electricity?

No. They are mainly subsistence farmers and live in the higher elevations with little infrastructure. They wouldn't refuse modernity. They just can't afford it.  They are master rice terrace builders though.

guilin-longji-rice-terrace.thumb.jpg.f4395d5278dab4b0b1a97f9cb10b9aec.jpg

Image: westchinago.com

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

That looks like a huge room. Is it all one room in those photos, or are you showing us more than one kitchen?

It's all the one big room. Normal.

What's this in the foreground, if you remember?

image.png

I don't need to remember. I have one. It's a rice mill, used to grind grains down to a powder for various dishes.

Mine is a toy one sold as a souvenir, but  works on small quantities. When I didn't out of whatever box it's hiding in I'll demonstrate.

And is this a long-handled wok with a lid on? Is it set into a recess atop the stove?

image.png

No. What you are seeing as a handle is a flue pipe behind the stove.The work is the two looped handled type. It is set into a recess in the brick stove.

7 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Wow, thanks for sharing these photos.  Do the Yao eschew modern things or electricity?

No. They are mainly subsistence farmers and live in the higher elevations with little infrastructure. They wouldn't refuse modernity. They just can't afford it.  They are master rice terrace builders though.

guilin-longji-rice-terrace.thumb.jpg.f4395d5278dab4b0b1a97f9cb10b9aec.jpg

Image: westchinago.com