• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

typo

5 hours ago, NadyaDuke said:

Looks prettier than mine! Would you do the slow fried egg again?

Yeah, I would.  Takes a while but leaves you free to do other things and provides an alternative to quickly frying eggs at the last minute to put on top of something. I generally like a crispy fried egg but this is a pretty low fuss way to get that look of a pristine fried egg without any brown bits. It uses a fair amount of oil (at least 1/8") and starts in a cold pan so the yolk kind of bobs on the surface while the white cooks gently as the oil warms up on the lowest of simmers. I have small cast iron skillets that would be good for 1 or 2 or 3 eggs. For a crowd, you'd need a big skillet and a lot of oil.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

4 hours ago, NadyaDuke said:

Looks prettier than mine! Would you do the slow fried egg again?

Yeah, I would.  Takes a while but leaves you free to do other things and provides an alternative to quickly frying eggs at the last minute to put on top of something. I generally like a crispy fried egg but this is a pretty low fuss way to get that look of a pristine fried egg without any brown bits. It uses a fair amount of oil (at least 1/8") and starts in a cold pan so the yolk kind of bobs on the surface while the white cooks gently as the oil warms up on the lowest of simmers. I have small cast iron skillets that would be good for 1 or 2 or 3 eggs. For a crowd, you'd need a bit skillet and a lot of oil.