• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

15 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

How difficult is it for you to source 'western' imports, food-wise? Are there certain things or regions that are easier to find foodstuffs from, or is it just hit and miss?

When I moved to China in 1996, almost nothing 'western' was available and what was findable was imported via Hong Kong (still under British rule then) and ludicrously expensive. Today, China has the largest on-line shopping culture on the planet (yes, bigger than Amazon) and most things are available. They also became cheaper as availabiity increased.

That stopped to an extent during the pandemic  for two main reasons. The countries exporting were in lockdowns and the foreigners who mainly buy it had all gone home (to their regret!) . But it has almost returned to pre-Covid status . There are few things I can't get. Some more obscure cheeses I can't find and I haven't had a haggis in China ever!

Indian and Japanese ingredients can be hard to find (China has a fractured relationshup with both.) Otherwise hit and miss. 

To be honest though, I seldom go looking for western foods here. I'm happy with the local cuisine which is endlessly, wonderfully varied  and delicious. Or maybe I'm just institionalised!

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 minute ago, pastameshugana said:

How difficult is it for you to source 'western' imports, food-wise? Are there certain things or regions that are easier to find foodstuffs from, or is it just hit and miss?

When I moved to China in 1996, almost nothing 'western' was available and what was findable was imported via Hong Kong (still under British rule then) and ludicrously expensive. Today, China has the largest on-line shopping culture on the planet (yes, bigger than Amazon) and most things are available. They also became cheaper as availabiity increased.

That stopped to an extent during the pandemic  for two main reasons. The countries exporting were in lockdowns and the foreigners who mainly buy it had all gone home (to their regret!) . But it has almost returned to pre-Covid status . There are few things I can't get. Some more obscure cheeses I can't find and I haven't had a haggis in China ever!

To be honest though, I seldom go looking for western foods here. I'm happy with the local cuisine which is endlessly, wonderfully varied  and delicious. Or maybe I'm just institionalised!