• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon with Beef

Ron Johnson

Lately, I have been on a kick where I pan grill or sear a salt and pepper seasoned ribeye and then finish it by deglazing the pan with some lemon juice, garlic and parsely. Once this combo is reduced and scrapings are incorporated I pour over the steak. It is so damn good! I mean the acidicity of the lemon is the perfect counterpoint to the internal fattines of a ribeye and the garlic and parsely just add to the flavor. I prefer this immensely over the butter, cream, bearnaise, etc sauces that so often accompancy meat.

Why is this not done more? Is it considered too low brow? I am wrong that lemon tastes so good with beef? Whats the deal?

I've got a skirt steak that I thought I would try with lime as that struck me as a vaguely Mexican or Latin combination.  Perhaps cilantro instead of parsely?

of course of course. and garlic and ancho chili powder for a little sweet/spice. and soy sauce just 'coz.

ediot: great, now i *have* to have steak for lunch. thanks for nuttin.

Edited by tommy (log)

I typically see lemon juice used with veal cutlet type recipes, such as scallopini, schnitzel and picatta come to mind.

Exactly! Thats why I was wondering why it is traditionally an accompaniment to those dishes but not to beef.

If you try it tonight, serve with brocoli rabe sauteed with anchovies, garlic, crushed red pepper, and evoo. Thats what I had with last night. :smile:

Ron, Dave's right. This is classic. And delicious.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

If you try it tonight, serve with brocoli rabe sauteed with anchovies, garlic, crushed red pepper, and evoo.  Thats what I had with last night.  :smile:

That also sounds great. What kind of anchovies do you recommend? Does one use anchovies in the can, or seek them out in another form? (I've never cooked with anchovies, but I like them).

Heron, get them salt-packed. Rinse, soak in milk or water for half an hour or more, cut out the innards, Bob's your uncle.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Heron, get them salt-packed. Rinse, soak in milk or water for half an hour or more, cut out the innards, Bob's your uncle.

Well, this is the traditional way. But I have to say I like Heron's notion of "seek(ing) them out in another form."

For instance, I'd like to seek them out as a dolphin. Or maybe an 18th century Caribbean pirate.

edit: gave up one 'r' for Jinmyo's subsequent post.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

pirate.jpg

Arrrrrr.

Salt packed. Good. I'm learning. :biggrin:

Dave, thanks for jogging my memory about the Tuscan steak. Now I know why Ron's steak sounded so good to me... Tuscan rib steak is one of my favorites.

I haven't made it in awhile, but I checked my recipe and I make a paste of 3 chopped garlic, s & p, 2 T Olive Oil, 1 T fresh parsley, 1 t fresh oregano, 1/2 t dry mustard, 1 T balsamic vinegar, 2 T cabernet sauvignon and rub it over the steaks and allow to marinate 30 minutes to 1 hour. Grill to desired doneness, and before serving, squeeze with fresh lemon juice. This is so good.

But I'm going to try Ron's method of pan searing and deglazing with lemon juice. My grill is put away for the winter.

ron, have you ever had chimichurri sauce on steak?  you might like it.  some are more acidic than others, but they are made with vinegar, garlic, and parlsey/cilantro.

steak likes acid.  everything likes acid.

Good tip, tommy. Chimichurri is especially good on flank and skirt steaks, as well as smoked brisket.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I find chimichurri covers over the basic beefyness I want from a ribeye, porter, or strip. But, yes, great on flank and skirt.

ron, have you ever had chimichurri sauce on steak?  you might like it.  some are more acidic than others, but they are made with vinegar, garlic, and parlsey/cilantro.

steak likes acid.  everything likes acid.

I have had chimichurri at an Argentine restaurant here. I liked it but have no idea how to make it myself. I would love a recipe.

You are right about acid. I had some friends in college who LOVED it. :wink:

1023.gif

Here's how I do it:

Mince six to eight cloves of garlic.

Measure out your acid: three to six tablespoons, depending on what you use and how acidic you want it. Choose from red wine/cider/malt/sherry vinegar, lemon juice, or a combination. I like about 1/2-1/2 lemon juice and sherry vinegar.

Measure out your oil: about 3/4 cup EVOO.

If you like heat, add a minced jalapeno for vegetal notes, or cayenne or red pepper flakes.

Estimate the volume of everything you've got, and chop enough parsley, cilantro or a combination (I've seen oregano, too) to match.

Whiz everything but the oil, plus about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, in a food processor, then drizzle in the oil.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I have had chimichurri at an Argentine restaurant here.  I liked it but have no idea how to make it myself.  I would love a recipe.

1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped

8 cloves garlic, minced

3/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar

3 tablespoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Directions

1 In a blender or food processor, combine the parsley, garlic, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, ground black pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix well, but do not puree.

:smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Muchas Gracias  KL!

De nada, mi amigo! Un placer a conocerle.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol