• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vitamix clones

Barmaley

Hello everyone,

I would like to learn what is the secret of Vitamix been the most effective blender. If you look at multiple reviews (this is just one example: 

) you may fund that everyone finds Vitamix making better job blending food. Unfortunately I can not find any serious technical review which will discuss "why" Vitamix makes better job? There are many clones and I am sure Chinese are good at copying things. There are 3 components in my view: the motor, the blade and the container which can contribute to the result (please tell if I am missing something). Some blenders claim faster rotation speed, more power etc. I am sure it is not hard to copy the blades. Which secret Vitamix engineers know which nobody can replicate?

One of the reason I am asking is that I just bought a Vitamix e310 with 48 ounce container and a small dry container. I think I want to buy a larger container and there are many options on Amazon, some blenders which come with everything including a large container are cheaper than a genuine Vitamix container itself. If I use the original Vitamix base with a generic container will I get the original Vitamix performance? Is the secret in the blades or in the base?

Are generic containers compatible with Vitamix? If an Amazon description says that it is BPA-free - should I trust it?

Thank you in advance! 

1 hour ago, Barmaley said:

If an Amazon description says that it is BPA-free - should I trust it?

I shop quite a bit on Amazon, but one thing I've learned is to never trust anything on Amazon - anyone can be a seller and say anything they want.

p

10 hours ago, Barmaley said:

If I use the original Vitamix base with a generic container will I get the original Vitamix performance? Is the secret in the blades or in the base?

My guess is you'll void the warranty.

The "secret" is that Vitamix is most likely made to a higher standard, with better raw materials, than knockoffs.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I use a Blendtec. This is what they say about their blenders. You might be able to find a similar page on Vitamix's site.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

17 hours ago, Barmaley said:

One of the reason I am asking is that I just bought a Vitamix e310 with 48 ounce container and a small dry container. I think I want to buy a larger container and there are many options on Amazon, some blenders which come with everything including a large container are cheaper than a genuine Vitamix container itself. If I use the original Vitamix base with a generic container will I get the original Vitamix performance? Is the secret in the blades or in the base?

One view, found here:

The E310 (with its 2.0 HP motor) is designed to operate containers with a 3-inch blade, that is, any Legacy container except for the 64-ounce (low-profile) container. The 64-ounce (low-profile) container will work with the E310, but the engine is not designed to operate the wider 4-inch blade. A continuous use of the 64-ounce (low-profile) container with the E310 can cause the motor to wear out. The E320 (with its 2.2 HP motor) is compatible with all Legacy containers.

Many Vitamix parts are made in China, including the motor. I believe the blade and the container are made in the US.

And BTW, I don't think you should make soup in a Vitamix. Using a 2 HP motor to generate heat from friction is probably the most energy wasting way to cook. 

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)