• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

@Kim Shook My reaction was not food snobbery based in intent. It was more my wrapping my head around all the effort and money put into "development". I understand the need for uniformity for a chain. The consumer needs to receive what they expect. Why many tourists from US for example sigh with relief at seeing a McD - they want a  hit of what they are used to alongside new tastes in other countries.  I also have read about the assembly time considerations many in fast food - key word "fast". Back in the day when we all went out to the bar after work on Wednesdays to celebrate making it past "hump day" - a cheap consistent Taco Bell bean and  cheese burrito to get you through to Thursday was a joy. As @blue_dolphin noted - the article is a very interesting peek into the backstory of what many take for granted.

BTW: for Kim on the taco crunch - a beloved Los Angeles food spot Tito's Tacos is famous for its hard shell tacos. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2fzboe5BbE

heidih

heidih

@Kim Shook My reaction was not food snobbery based in intent. It was more my wrapping my head around all the effort and money put into "development". I understand the need for uniformity for a chain. The consumer needs to receive what they expect. Why many tourists from US for example sigh with relief at seeing a McD - they want a  hit of what they are used to alongside new tastes in other countries.  I also have read about the assembly time considerations many in fast food - key word "fast". Back in the day when we all went out to the bar after work on Wednesdays to celebrate making it past "hump day" - a cheap consistent Taco Bell bean and  cheese burrito to get you through to Thursday was a oy. As @blue_dolphin noted - the article is a very interesting peek into the backstory of what many take for granted.

BTW: for Kim on the taco crunch - a beloved Los Angeles food spot Tito's Tacos is famous for its hard shell tacos. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2fzboe5BbE