• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bangers

lindag

It's almost time for Bangers and Mash!!

My friend tells me that Costco has actual bangers in stock.

I use Johnsonville Irish O'garlic sausages that are really good.

It's about time for Irish Stew as well!

8 hours ago, lindag said:

actual bangers

What are actual bangers?

"Bangers" originally referred to cheap sausages fed to the military in WW1 and which were mainly water and rusk and exploded when cooked.

Today it generally just means "sausages" of any kind.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I just picked up some sausage labeled English Bangers.  Plan to make a Dublin Coddle.

Oooh!  Never heard of Dublin Coddle but Google showed me some delicious looking photos of it - looks and sounds very good!

• Like 2

in prior life business travels . . .

spent time in Luton and also "greater London" (it's not a small village . . .)

enjoyed many many "English Breakfasts" - the sausages - which I only later learned to name "bangers" were different, in a good way, from USA or German breakfast fare.

in Germany high(er) end hotel breakfast had soft/hard cooked eggs, bread rolls, cheese, cold cuts, and schmier cheese + schmier 'wurst' - but seldom 'free standing' sausage links.  a puzzlement because most cities every street corner has a butcher with their own version of 'hung & dried' link 'sausage . . . apparently too expensive for hotels vs potted Leberwurst schufft . . .

in USA I prefer sausage patty to "links" - but quite frankly it's quite next to impossible to encounter a breakfast offering of anything that resembles a UK "banger"