• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toblerone to change design under "Swissness" rules

liuzhou

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 2:25 PM, gfweb said:

Just defending a trademark of a sort.

Nothing to see here.

Re parmigiano reggiano. I've never had a pretender that approaches t he real thing.

I've been puzzling over this bit of confectionary tragedy for days.  Puzzled enough that I went out and stocked up on half a dozen Toblerone bars while there was still time.  What could be more iconically Swiss than the Matterhorn?*  That is until global warming and plate tectonics push the Matterhorn over into Italy or the South China Sea.

Turns out the mountain isn't moving fast enough although Toblerone production is being relocated from Switzerland to Slovakia.  I have nothing against Slovakia.  The beloved boots without which I could not walk far are crafted in Slovakia.  Boots worth every penny.  But why, why Toblerone?  I have sad narcotic visions of vile Cadbury imitation chocolate being peddled in the US by Hershey.  All legal until the Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley populace comes with torches and pitchforks.  Or I guess possibly that was Phantom of the Opera.

*and maybe cuckoo clocks, at least according to Orson Welles in The Third Man.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou