• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza chains

As if we all need to eat more pizza... Jet City Pizza just opened two stores near my office. Just curious, what's their pizza like?

And if you love/hate Jet City, tell us why. If you hate 'em, who do you like?

I think the best pizza I've ever had was at a place called Cecchiti's (spelling?) in Bellingham where I lived for a few years during college. It was next door to this great tavern called the Three B (formerly Buck's). I think now they call the bar Bellingham Bay Brewery or something yupscale like that (the Three B was better.. but the coolest bar in town was the Up and Up). We would check out a band, drink as much beer as we could and then stagger next door to the pizza joint for a slice to soak up the booze. Ah, the memories.

My disclaimer is that I'm not very picky about my pizza. I am planning a pizza blitz when I hit New York this Fall. I expect I'll be blown away.

Oh, I remember another place that has great pizza. It's on the main street in Port Townsend. Anyone know the name of that place?

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I've now found the most fantastic non-Chicago-style pizza on the planet.

This delightful experience can be found at a little, tiny place called Amante Pizza & Pasta. There is no seating, take out or delivery only. It's located in a strip mall at 1533 1/2 145th Street N.E. in Seattle (Shoreline?).

I'm in LOVE with the House Special (not the Amante Special, which is also good, but not as exciting). The House special is: Mushrooms, green peppers, onions, black olives, feta cheese, mozzarella cheese, fresh garlic (fresh!), diced tomatoes, spinach, sunflower seeds and lots and lots of a very flavorful and crispy shredded pepperoni.

It's one of those pizzas where one slice is really probably enough, two slices is just right, but a third slice is always in order because it just tastes so damn great. It should probably also be noted, that it's also one of those pizzas after which someone should best sleep alone, as the garlic, feta, and pepperoni make for a lovely after-stench. But SO delicious, really. I'm raving, and I'm a genuine Chicago Pizza Snob.

Anyway, do try it if you get a chance. And let me know what you think!

One of our favorite pizza joints is Pegasus Pizza on Alki. Our favorite pizza is Tom's special - which sounds amazingly close to the house special at Amante's:

Tom's Special

Mushrooms, Green Peppers, Onions, Black Olives,

Feta & Mozzarella Cheese, Fresh Garlic, Diced Tomatoes,

Spinach, Sunflower Seeds and Topped with Shredded Pepperoni

This is truly one of the best pizzas I have ever had in my life. It is a great combination of flavors and their crust is exceptional.

When we used to live on Capital Hill, we liked Romio's. Plato's special was always my favorite. I guess I like Greek pizza.

We used to eat a lot of Mad Pizza. I like the Mad Scientist (more feta cheese-are we seeing a theme here??). Tighe still does lunch there frequently.

Piecora's was right down the street from us and serves very good basic NY style pizza.

In our new neighborhood, we have fallen in love with the brick oven pizzas at Filiberto's Cucina Italiana, 14401 Des Moines Memorial Drive, Burien; 206-248-1944. If you do make it down this way, you HAVE to have their tomato bruschetta - it's one of the best I have ever had. Also, save room for the cheesecake!

I have only been to Northlake Tavern once, but I thought their pizza was pretty good.

Pizza Pizza! :biggrin:

"Unleash the sheep!" mamster

There is a Pegasus pizza over here in kirkland. We had a nice pizza from them once and will probably go back. Almante sounds great, I will keep them in mind!

Has anybody tried Dan and Dave's pizza? They just moved into a new shop over in Krikland and I havent gotten around to trying them out. I dont order much pizza...it goes straight to my thighs.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

One of our favorite pizza joints is Pegasus Pizza on Alki.  Our favorite pizza is Tom's special - which sounds amazingly close to the house special at Amante's:

Tom's Special

Mushrooms, Green Peppers, Onions, Black Olives,

Feta & Mozzarella Cheese, Fresh Garlic, Diced Tomatoes,

Spinach, Sunflower Seeds and Topped with Shredded Pepperoni

This is truly one of the best pizzas I have ever had in my life.  It is a great combination of flavors and their crust is exceptional.

When we used to live on Capital Hill, we liked Romio's.  Plato's special was always my favorite.  I guess I like Greek pizza.

I am also a big fan of Pegasus pizza, Tom's Special! However, I may be biased since it is in my neighborhood. The shredded pepperoni on it is cooked really crispy, which makes it taste even better I think. Plus I love any pizza with spinach on it.

I also liked Romio's in Magnolia when I went one time.

girlchow, unfortunately, I have never tried Jet Pizza. I used to see their flyers in the mail, but was never tempted to go.

I would like to try A NY Pizza Place in Maple Leaf district that klink recommended awhile back .

Click Here for review

Maybe we should have an eGullet Pizza outing one of these evenings. :biggrin:

I was just wondering can you get either the House Special at Amante's or the Tom's Special smotherd in gravy and topped with shredded chocolate?

People where is the love for simple pizza. A fine crust, a light tomato sauce, boconcinni, fresh basil and a sprinkling of olive oil. To be baked in a wood fired oven. Not to be impinged on a conveyor belt.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I was just wondering can you get either the House Special at Amante's or the Tom's Special smotherd in gravy

Mmmmmm . . . . . gravy.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I would eat anything, including cardboard, if it had gravy on it. Ditto for blue cheese.

Better yet, blue cheese gravy.....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Ohhhhhhhhh maaaaaaaaaaannnnnn.... blue cheese gravy! On pizza! I'm having a Homer-esque moment. I need an emoticon with dripping saliva :laugh:

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Ohhhhhhhhh maaaaaaaaaaannnnnn.... blue cheese gravy! On pizza! I'm having a Homer-esque moment. I need an emoticon with dripping saliva  :laugh:

you guys are all crazy! :wacko:

Actually, Coops pizza is sounding pretty darned good. I would love that. Something very simple, like thin crust, thin spread of tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella or the Bocconcini, fresh basil topped w/ a little olive oil & baked in a wood burning oven.... I'm There!

And then I'll have a Tom's Special. :wub:

Actually, Coops pizza is sounding pretty darned good.  I would love that.  Something very simple, like thin crust, thin spread of tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella or the  Bocconcini, fresh basil topped w/ a little olive oil & baked in a wood burning oven.... I'm There!

Actually the brick-oven jobs at Filiberto's that scrat mentioned are the best incarnation of pizza simplicity that I've ever had ('cept maybe in Italy). I think they actually have the exact combo that you mention BH, or at least something very similar. They're calzone are killer too....

Edit: gc, as a fellow south-sider, have you ever had the Filiberto's pizza?

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Edit:  gc, as a fellow south-sider, have you ever had the Filiberto's pizza?

Yes, indeed! I had completely forgotten about Filiberto's until you mentioned it!! That place rocks! It's close to my mom-in-law's house in Des Moines, so we sometimes would take family outings there. But lately, the family likes to go to El Charro on Pac Hwy (UCK!) by Lewis and Clarke.

On a related Des Moines/Burien pizza note, My husband absolutely LOVES the pizza at Boston Pizza, located in Des Moines proper by the Red Robin and Wally's (great fried fish and decent chowder). I don't think Boston's pizza is all that good, but I think he likes that place because he used to eat there all the time as a kid. I think the pizza is too soggy.

-- Frank Bruni