• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

You get what you pay for, no? I never knew lox came in plastic wrapped packets until I left NY. I'm just grateful that I have a source for pretty good packaged lox and decent bagels and cream cheese. If you buy your lox at Zabar's or Russ and Daughters you pay for beautiful slices, and experienced cuts and no sticking from compression packaging. And you get your choice of various types. But those of us who no longer have a great local deli have to put up with a few inconveniences. To this day my breakfast or lunch guests have never complained that my plate of sliced lox isn't picture perfect. Which it isn't. But then, who whips out their phone when they are dining at a friend's house?

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

get what you pay for, no? I never knew lox came in plastic wrapped packets until I left NY. I'm just grateful that I have a source for pretty good packaged lox and decent bagels and cream cheese. If you buy your lox at Zabar's or Russ and Daughters you pay for beautiful slices, and experienced cuts and no sticking from compression packaging. And you get your choice of various types. But those of us who no longer have a great local deli have to put up with a few inconveniences. To this day my breakfast or lunch guests have never complained that my plate of sliced lox isn't picture perfect. Which it isn't. But then, who whips out their phone when they are dining at a friend's house?