• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

@Tropicalsenior  Sorry I don't have a carnitas recipe; probably others on e-gullet do.  I can walk to a half dozen tortas places and I let them do the work.  Lazy me, happy me.  

1 hour ago, heidih said:

The bolillo is commonplace here in everyday supermarkets that cater to a Latino shopper. Used in the popular tortas https://food52.com/blog/13470-how-to-make-a-mexican-torta-without-a-recipe

We somtimes forget about the enormous infuence colonization and immigration had on Mexican culture. Have fun!!!

I have bought rolls labeled "bolillos" in Tucson, a city with large Mexican population.  Tried a number of Latino places...they were uniformly awful...soft crust and the inside was fluffy.  They reminded me of the sandwich rolls from Puebla (cemitas).  In fact the pictures in your link look very much like cemita rolls.  

When I am in US and want to make a torta ahogado, I start with a proper French baguette.  

Our local bolillos look like this....notice the 'waist' on them....you can buy whole ( a doble) or break in half if that's all you want.

bolillo.jpg

gulfporter

gulfporter

@Tropicalsenior  Sorry I don't have a carnitas recipe; probably others on e-gullet do.  I can walk to a half dozen tortas places and I let them do the work.  Lazy me, happy me.  

1 hour ago, heidih said:

The bolillo is commonplace here in everyday supermarkets that cater to a Latino shopper. Used in the popular tortas https://food52.com/blog/13470-how-to-make-a-mexican-torta-without-a-recipe

We somtimes forget about the enormous infuence colonization and immigration had on Mexican culture. Have fun!!!

I have bought rolls labeled "bolillos" in Tucson, a city with large Mexican population.  Tried a number of Latino places...they were uniformly awful...soft crust and the inside was fluffy.  They reminded me of the sandwich rolls from Puebla (cemitas).  In fact the pictures in your link look very much like cemita rolls.  

Our local bolillos look like this....notice the 'waist' on them....you can buy whole ( a doble) or break in half if that's all you want.  

When I am in US and want to make a torta ahogado, I start with a proper French baguette.  

bolillo.jpg

gulfporter

gulfporter

1 hour ago, heidih said:

bolillo.jpg

Birotes saltados are the super crusty ones, shown here.  They are the ones used in tortas ahogadas; they need to be super dry to soak up the liquid (ahogada means 'drowned.'

gulfporter

gulfporter

1 hour ago, heidih said:

bolillo.jpg