• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

@liamsaunt – those scallop rolls you do always give me intense cravings.  Jessica had a friend visiting from the Boston area (she lives on Nahant) and when I showed them to her, she flipped out.  She’s not a lobster fan, so she was thrilled to find out she could do a scallop one when the rest of her family did lobster rolls.  It had never occurred to her before!  She’s the picky one I talk about below. 

@Ann_T – I would absolutely call that pizza ‘pretty’.  I’d give an awful lot to have access to a pizza like that.

@MaryIsobel – I’m so sorry!  I’ve been in food slumps like that for weeks, even months at a time.  Just stay with us at eG and you’ll eventually get inspired.  @Shelby and I have found that looking back a few years or so at the topics that you post in helps, too. 

@Shelby – everything looks so good, but I especially want to know about the pork and vegetables.  Was that done in a slow cooker?  And was that a extra thick chop or actually a roast? 

Had to go out to the airport a few days ago to drop Jessica off to pick up a rental car and indulged in one of my no-so-secret guilty pleasures:

1-IMG_3028.jpg.e796c829043cf7ef15305a1d69e32a25.jpg

I have loved Long John Silvers since college when my roommate and I would indulge in a once-a-month grease-fest.  I like the fish and chicken with chips and slaw.  Plenty of vinegar and an occasional squeeze of truly terrible tartar sauce (I think it is just Miracle Whip).  This particular location has only recently reopened for inside dining and everything was surprisingly good.  Hot and cooked to order and not overly greasy.

Jessica has a friend visiting from Boston and she requested Mr. Kim’s BBQ one meal while she was here.  She and Jessica ate out mostly, so this was our only time to feed her.  She’s extremely picky.  My planned menu was:

BBQ  Buns Slaw  Sauces

Baked Beans         Jessica’s Mac & Cheese            Chips and Dip

Ice cream Sundae bar for dessert

Well, it turned out when Jessica did a little digging that the only thing that she would be eating was the BBQ sandwich and ice cream.  And the BBQ was iffy – she thought it SOUNDED good but wasn’t sure she’d like it.  I suggested fries, which she said yes to and when I asked about vegetables, she said asparagus and broccoli.  So, I added fries and asparagus to the table.  Further turns out that when she said she liked asparagus and broccoli, she meant RAW.  I roasted it.  Sigh.  She did eat a couple of spears, though.  She ate a half a sandwich.  I truly don’t know if she walked away from my dinner table unsatisfied or if she just has a small appetite.  I have a horror of the first thing happening. 

Mr. Kim had a Vestry meeting Tuesday, and so Jessica and I scratched a very specific itch.  Dinner at our favorite Thai place.  We shared the calamari and crab Rangoon (with actual crabmeat):

1-IMG_3062.jpg.d9d0d07fd35be6794c39a73dd5c5b4b4.jpg

1-IMG_3061.jpg.274d05176d620eeab12257e87a6d2069.jpg

I had my favorite shrimp and pineapple fried rice:

1-IMG_3063.jpg.615b262356dfc30122d792428a72e2ca.jpg

I’ve tried over and over to make this at home, and it always ends up a bit bland and too sweet.

Jessica had the Tom Kha soup:

1-IMG_3064.jpg.8eff57b50071e0b1163df1c3814bc55d.jpg

Incredible broth.  I just avoid the mushrooms. 

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

@liamsaunt – those scallop rolls you do always give me intense cravings.  Jessica had a friend visiting from the Boston area (she lives on Nahant) and when I showed them to her, she flipped out.  She’s not a lobster fan, so she was thrilled to find out she could do a scallop one when the rest of her family did lobster rolls.  It had never occurred to her before!  She’s the picky one I talk about below. 

@Ann_T – I would absolutely call that pizza ‘pretty’.  I’d give an awful lot to have access to a pizza like that.

@MaryIsobel – I’m so sorry!  I’ve been in food slumps like that for weeks, even months at a time.  Just stay with us at eG and you’ll eventually get inspired.  @Shelby and I have found that looking back a few years or so at the topics that you post in helps, too. 

@Shelby – everything looks so good, but I especially want to know about the pork and vegetables.  Was that done in a slow cooker?  And was that a extra thick chop or actually a roast? 

Had to go out to the airport a few days ago to drop Jessica off to pick up a rental car and indulged in one of my no-so-secret guilty pleasure:

1-IMG_3028.jpg.e796c829043cf7ef15305a1d69e32a25.jpg

I have loved Long John Silvers since college when my roommate and I would indulge in a once-a-month grease-fest.  I like the fish and chicken with chips and slaw.  Plenty of vinegar and an occasional squeeze of truly terrible tartar sauce (I think it is just Miracle Whip).  This particular location has only recently reopened for inside dining and everything was surprisingly good.  Hot and cooked to order and not overly greasy.

Jessica has a friend visiting from Boston and she requested Mr. Kim’s BBQ one meal while she was here.  She and Jessica ate out mostly, so this was our only time to feed her.  She’s extremely picky.  My planned menu was:

BBQ  Buns Slaw  Sauces

Baked Beans         Jessica’s Mac & Cheese            Chips and Dip

Ice cream Sundae bar for dessert

Well, it turned out when Jessica did a little digging that the only thing that she would be eating was the BBQ sandwich and ice cream.  And the BBQ was iffy – she thought it SOUNDED good but wasn’t sure she’d like it.  I suggested fries, which she said yes to and when I asked about vegetables, she said asparagus and broccoli.  So, I added fries and asparagus to the table.  Further turns out that when she said she liked asparagus and broccoli, she meant RAW.  I roasted it.  Sigh.  She did eat a couple of spears, though.  She ate a half a sandwich.  I truly don’t know if she walked away from my dinner table unsatisfied or if she just has a small appetite.  I have a horror of the first thing happening. 

Mr. Kim had a Vestry meeting Tuesday, and so Jessica and I scratched a very specific itch.  Dinner at our favorite Thai place.  We shared the calamari and crab Rangoon (with actual crabmeat):

1-IMG_3062.jpg.d9d0d07fd35be6794c39a73dd5c5b4b4.jpg

1-IMG_3061.jpg.274d05176d620eeab12257e87a6d2069.jpg

I had my favorite shrimp and pineapple fried rice:

1-IMG_3063.jpg.615b262356dfc30122d792428a72e2ca.jpg

I’ve tried over and over to make this at home, and it always ends up a bit bland and too sweet.

Jessica had the Tom Kha soup:

1-IMG_3064.jpg.8eff57b50071e0b1163df1c3814bc55d.jpg

Incredible broth.  I just avoid the mushrooms.