• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

56 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

They are black soy beans so there is a little bit of earthy, bean flavor but mostly salty, umami with a little funk from the fermentation.  They’re usually used in small amounts for seasoning so it’s not like digging into a bowl of beans. A little like anchovies where they can be overpowering on their own but add a nice umami boost once incorporated into a dish. You may even have had them as they’re used in a range of Chinese dishes even when they’re not a named ingredient in the title of the dish. 
They're kind of a unique flavor and you may not like them but I think worth trying. The first Chinese recipe I learned to cook was squid in black bean sauce.  I was amazed that a spoonful of those shriveled little beans added so much flavor to the dish - I've been hooked ever since!

Thank you for this explanation. I do like anchovies and most with foods with a burst of Unami or salt,  so I will try this at my local restaurant first before cooking with Chinese black beans. 

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

54 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

They are black soy beans so there is a little bit of earthy, bean flavor but mostly salty, umami with a little funk from the fermentation.  They’re usually used in small amounts for seasoning so it’s not like digging into a bowl of beans. A little like anchovies where they can be overpowering on their own but add a nice umami boost once incorporated into a dish. You may even have had them as they’re used in a range of Chinese dishes even when they’re not a named ingredient in the title of the dish. 
They're kind of a unique flavor and you may not like them but I think worth trying. The first Chinese recipe I learned to cook was squid in black bean sauce.  I was amazed that a spoonful of those shriveled little beans added so much flavor to the dish - I've been hooked ever since!

Thank you for this explanation. I do like anchovies and most with a burst of Unami so I will try this at my local restaurant first before cooking with Chinese black beans.