• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

johnnyd

johnnyd

New England Gumbo?

Bought fresh-picked okra from an African lady at the market and threw together this "gumbo" with linguiça, leftover grilled chicken thigh piri piri, some local bell peppers, onion, a can or so of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, and Lobster!  Also dried thyme, bay leaves, File powder,  Worcestershire and chipotle tabasco, chicken stock and some sugar. What I did not do is spend a half-hour cooking roux, but I'm definitely doing this again...

IMG_20230911_135427214~2.jpg

johnnyd

johnnyd

New England Gumbo?

Bought fresh-picked okra from an African lady at the market and threw together this "gumbo" with linguiça, leftover grilled chicken thigh piri piri, some local bell peppers, onion, a can or so of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, and Lobster!  Also dried thyme, bay leaves, Worcestershire and chipotle tabasco, chicken stock and some sugar. What I did not do is spend a half-hour cooking roux, but I'm definitely doing this again...

johnnyd

johnnyd

New England Gumbo?

Bought fresh-picked okra from an African lady at the market and threw together this "gumbo" with linguiça, leftover grilled chicken thigh piri piri, some local bell peppers, onion, a can or so of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, and Lobster!  Also dried thyme, bay leaves, Worcestershire and chipotle tabasco, chicken stock and some sugar. Definitely doing this again...