• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Inspired by this article in the LA Times, describing the Croque Matthieu from Pasjoli restaurant in Santa Monica. This description lured me in:

During a recent visit, my party fell silent as we each bit into a square of the sandwich. The bread, annealed and shiny, was all crunch and butter. Then there was crispy Gruyère cheese, like a nutty, sharp cracker cemented to the inside of the sandwich. It shattered into a puddle of rich, creamy Mornay sauce that melted into sweet caramelized onions and shaved Bayonne ham.

The decadence of French onion soup, the simplicity of a good jambon beurre and the thrill of a gooey grilled cheese were all present, crammed into this four-bite sandwich. Its unabashed decadence something to marvel.

Since the article also provides a bit more info on how it's constructed, I had to give it a try.  Sorry for the bad photo. 

CF46D8E1-D5C4-4E31-B665-D71BC37358A7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cf14c79aa042f54c1874ecc9f4f4acdb.jpeg

But not disappointed with the result!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Inspired by this article in the LA Times, describing the Croque Matthieu from Pasjoli restaurant in Santa Monica. This descriptio lured me in:

During a recent visit, my party fell silent as we each bit into a square of the sandwich. The bread, annealed and shiny, was all crunch and butter. Then there was crispy Gruyère cheese, like a nutty, sharp cracker cemented to the inside of the sandwich. It shattered into a puddle of rich, creamy Mornay sauce that melted into sweet caramelized onions and shaved Bayonne ham.

The decadence of French onion soup, the simplicity of a good jambon beurre and the thrill of a gooey grilled cheese were all present, crammed into this four-bite sandwich. Its unabashed decadence something to marvel.

Since the article also provides a bit more info on how it's constructed, I had to give it a try.  Sorry for the bad photo. 

CF46D8E1-D5C4-4E31-B665-D71BC37358A7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cf14c79aa042f54c1874ecc9f4f4acdb.jpeg

But not disappointed with the result!