• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yield from pork butt for pulled pork

MaryIsobel

Started with an 8 pound butt, yielded 3 pounds after pulling. I was aiming for four pounds.

there wasn't a crazy amount of fat, quite normal amount in my experience. Sent husband to the store for another 3 or 4 pound butt. I have always counted on about 50% return from the raw weight. It is gorgeous pork but the yield was a bit disappointing. I used the overnight cooking method as my husband wasn't availble to smoke it. Wonder if that was the difference? I've used the overnight method before and was sure that I got the desired 50% yield but never made notes. Just curious what others count on re weight vs. yield. Picture is the butt going in.

Pulled pork.jpg

• Like 2

I don't have any numbers for you but I know it is highly variable depending on fat content and the cut of the roast. The trim of the roast appears to have changed. There does not seem to be as large a boneless portion on the boston butts as there used to be.

Edited by billyhill
Additions (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1