• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CookBot

CookBot

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

There were a lot of recipes that started with whipping a can of chilled evaporated milk. 

Were there?  They seem to have escaped my notice amid all the nostalgia for midcentury foods over the past few years.

37 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

My Dad poured evaporated milk on jello, which my Mom always made in a 9"x9" cake pan and cut into cubes to serve. We had dessert almost every night but unless it was a special occasion, dessert was either jello or canned fruit or jello and canned fruit. Neither of my two sisters nor I adopted the evaporated milk on jello thing. 

Sounds exactly like dessert in my childhood home.  Almost always canned fruit for desserts (which is strange, since I grew up in California, where there was all that fresh fruit).  Cake only on birthdays, pies very rare except Christmas and Thanksgiving.

I was just thinking recently how we so often had canned apricots, and now I never see canned apricots in the supermarkets.

CookBot

CookBot

57 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

There were a lot of recipes that started with whipping a can of chilled evaporated milk. 

Were there?  They seem to have escaped my notice amid all the nostalgia for midcentury foods over the past few years.

24 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

My Dad poured evaporated milk on jello, which my Mom always made in a 9"x9" cake pan and cut into cubes to serve. We had dessert almost every night but unless it was a special occasion, dessert was either jello or canned fruit or jello and canned fruit. Neither of my two sisters nor I adopted the evaporated milk on jello thing. 

Sounds exactly like dessert in my childhood home.  Almost always canned fruit for desserts (which is strange, since I grew up in California, where there was all that fresh fruit).  Cake only on birthdays, pies very rare except Christmas and Thanksgiving.

I was just thinking recently how we so often had canned apricots, and now I can hardly find canned apricots in the supermarkets.