• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 9/27/2022 at 5:01 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have plenty of cabbage on hand (albeit green).  The Economist reports that in 1953 at the start of Elizabeth's reign Britons consumed six times as much cabbage as they do today.  Probably not sous vide.

Elizabeth's reign started in 1952, not 1953. The UK still had rationing, but cabbage was off ration. People did eat a lot of it but not by preference. Red cabbage was little known at all. It came later, pickled in a jar. Still does right up to today.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I have plenty of cabbage on hand (albeit green).  The Economist reports that in 1953 at the start of Elizabeth's reign Britons consumed six times as much cabbage as they do today.  Probably not sous vide.

Elizabeth's reign started in 1952, not 1953. The UK still had rationing, but cabbage was off ration. People did eat a lot of it but not by preference. If red cabbage was known at all it came pickled in a jar right up to today.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Elizabeth's reign started in 1952, not1953. The UK still had rationing, but cabbage was off ration. People did eat a lot of it but not by preference. If red cabbage was known at all it came pickled in a jar right up to today.