• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chef koo

chef koo

I know you can get non-fluted pans, and ones that are perforated, but the vast majority of the ones on the market are fluted. I can't think of a practical reason why that would be. If anything, it seems disadvantageous. It's more labour intensive to line with the dough, they seem more complicated to produce, harder to clean.

Is it for the structural integrity? I mean, how much structural stress could a tart be under, where that fluting would actually make a difference? As far as I can tell, it's just for the look of it.

chef koo

chef koo

I know you can get non-fluted pans, and ones that are perforated, but the vast majority of the ones on the market are fluted. I can't think of a practical reason why that would be. If anything, it seems disadvantageous. It's more labour intensive to line with the dough, they seem more complicated to produce, harder to clean.

Is it for the structural integrity? How much structural stress could a tart be under, where that fluting would actually make a difference? As far as I can tell, it's just for the look of it.