• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Raamo

Raamo

missed a step.

On 10/7/2022 at 8:15 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a red pepper, I have potatoes, I have Basmati.  What was the recipe?  Sadly no fenugreek leaves in house, though I believe I have seen them for sale at Shoprite.

Boil / Steam the potatoes - when cool skin and cut up.  I steamed pre pealed so just cut up hot.

In oil + gee (~tbps depends upon how much potatoes)  add 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1/4 tsp black pepper.  quickly add the rest of the spices - was 1 tablespoon lightly ground coriander, 1/2 tsp of salt (to taste),  1 tsp fenugreek leaves (which IMO are key)

Wait till fragrant, Then add the potatoes - cook until browned. They pick up all the spices.

Add in red peppers, cilantro, mango powder and cook until the red peppers are done.

Serve over rice is what I did, but seems to be optional.

Garnish with Gram Marsala.

Pretty simple.  It called for way more potatoes / and like 3 red peppers - I scaled it down to 3 potatoes and 1 bell pepper.  This kind of recipe is pretty easy to wing.  You can adjust the spices to preference too.  I like heavy spices so I didn't scale them down much.

Raamo

Raamo

On 10/7/2022 at 8:15 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a red pepper, I have potatoes, I have Basmati.  What was the recipe?  Sadly no fenugreek leaves in house, though I believe I have seen them for sale at Shoprite.

Boil / Steam the potatoes - when cool skin and cut up.  I steamed pre pealed so just cut up hot.

In oil + gee (~tbps depends upon how much potatoes)  add 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1/4 tsp black pepper.  quickly add the rest of the spices - was 1 tablespoon lightly ground coriander, 1/2 tsp of salt (to taste),  1 tsp fenugreek leaves (which IMO are key)

Then add the potatoes - cook until browned. They pick up all the spices.

Add in red peppers, cilantro, mango powder and cook until the red peppers are done.

Serve over rice is what I did, but seems to be optional.

Garnish with Gram Marsala.

Pretty simple.  It called for way more potatoes / and like 3 red peppers - I scaled it down to 3 potatoes and 1 bell pepper.  This kind of recipe is pretty easy to wing.  You can adjust the spices to preference too.  I like heavy spices so I didn't scale them down much.