• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dcarch

dcarch

21 hours ago, rotuts said:

@dcarch 

exceptionally fine SV set up.

wha were you Sv'ding in the second pic ?

I see a divider 

what's its role ?

and it seem your water is a bit dark 

and Ive never thought os SV ribs

sound interesting

and you finish them   .....

chers

The board divider is a great "invention" by me. If you use a 48 quarts of water cooker, that's a lot of water to heat up for some shorter items for sous vide. The board is a 1" thick foam board, a very effective insulator. It is adjustable depending on what you are cooking. For instance what you are looking at is the whole bone-in pork butt, which is very big but short. 

Sous vide ribs is also a must for me. I don't understand "falling apart tender". Falling apart only makes meat chewable, not tender. Sous vide makes meat tender. This sous vide setup makes it possible to sous vide 4 full length back ribs at the same time.

The water is dark because I used the same water for almost the whole summer season. Too busy cooking for many parties to keep changing water. All the bags were sealed well so no problem for the food, and some cooking were done at relatively high temperature, so nothing was growing in the water.

So far so good, this summer. By the way, the pandemic is not over. All people to the parties were tested negative before coming, and I equipped my air conditioners with home made HEPA filters.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

14 hours ago, rotuts said:

@dcarch 

I see a divider 

what's its role ?

sound interesting

chers

The board divider is a great "invention" by me. If you use a 48 quarts of water cooker, that's a lot of water to heat up for some shorter items for sous vide. The board is a 1" thick form board, a very effective insulator. It is adjustable depending on what you are cooking. For instance what you are looking at is the whole bone-in pork butt, which is very big but short. 

Sous vide ribs is also a must for me. I don't understand "falling apart tender". Falling apart only makes meat chewable, not tender. Sous vide makes meat tender. This sous vide setup makes it possible to sous vide 4 full length back ribs at the same time.

The water is dark because I used the same water for almost the whole summer season. Too busy cooking for many parties to keep changing water. All the bags were sealed well so no problem for the food, and some cooking were done at relatively high temperature, so nothing was growing in the water.

So far so good, this summer. By the way, the pandemic is not over. All people to the parties were tested negative before coming, and I equipped my air conditioners with home made HEPA filters.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

14 hours ago, rotuts said:

@dcarch 

I see a divider 

what's its role ?

sound interesting

chers

The board divider is a great invention by me. If you use a 48 quarts of water cooker, that's a lot of water to heat up for some shorter items for sous vide. The board is a 1" thick form board, a very effective insulator. It is adjustable depending on what you are cooking. For instance what you are looking at is the whole bone-in pork butt, which is very big but short. 

dcarch