• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

28 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I don't care about the photography, although it is amazing, I'd like to know more about those potatoes. They look delicious.

They were tasty. A bit of a flavor bomb, though.  I wouldn't pair them with something mild.

The web-derived (seriouseats?) recipe was (from memory)

-halve and shallow fry new potatoes till golden on the cut side

-boil potatoes in a mix of 3 tbsp water, 2 tbsp soy, 1 tbsp fish sauce, 2 tbsp sugar and a garlic clove, smashed.  Obviously I used a small pan where this just covered the potatoes.  I don't see why water couldn't be added as needed since it gets boiled down anyway

I fished out the clove toward  the end 

-cook the potatoes until the liquid has turned syrupy and slosh around to coat.

-LET THEM COOL a bit

Thinking back I don't see t he need for shallow frying, cooking face down on a oiled sauté pan ought to be enough since the potato will cook fine in the boiling syrup.  In fact , though browned from frying, it wasn't noticeable in the product

I only made it once.  I could see adding a bit of heat to the sauce

gfweb

gfweb

13 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I don't care about the photography, although it is amazing, I'd like to know more about those potatoes. They look delicious.

They were tasty. A bit of a flavor bomb, though.  I wouldn't pair them with something mild.

The web-derived (seriouseats?) recipe was (from memory)

-halve and shallow fry new potatoes till golden on the cut side

-boil potatoes in a mix of 3 tbsp water, 2 tbsp soy, 1 tbsp fish sauce, 2 tbsp sugar.  Obviously I used a small pan where this just covered the potatoes.  I don't see why water couldn't be added as needed since it gets boiled down anyway

-cook the potatoes until the liquid has turned syrupy and slosh around to coat.

-LET THEM COOL a bit

Thinking back I don't see t he need for shallow frying, cooking face down on a oiled sauté pan ought to be enough since the potato will cook fine in the boiling syrup.  In fact , though browned from frying, it wasn't noticeable in the product

I only made it once.  I could see adding a bit of heat to the sauce