• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

For decades I called my mother at/about midnight every year regardless of where we were.    When she passed, I decided I could finally go to bed when I/we wanted.   

We are always awakened by fireworks in our neighborhood.    But this year, some tyke had one of those "goose horns", was allowed to stay up and honked the new year in for half an hour!   

When I lived at my cottage the tradition in the hood was the banging of pots and pans by kids like a marching band.. Yes there were some spectacular illegal fireworks. One year I strong-armed my male cousin into going out and blowing his trumpet (best use he ever made of it), and my Swiss ancestry neighbor always brought out his Alpen Horn like this 

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

For decades I called my mother at/about midnight every year regardless of where we were.    When she passed, I decided I could finally go to bed when I/we wanted.   

We are always awakened by fireworks in our neighborhood.    But this year, some tyke had one of those "goose horns", was allowed to stay up and honked the new year in for half an hour!   

When I lived at my cottage the tradition in the hood was the banging of pots and pans by kids like a marching band.. Yes there were some spectacular illegal fireworks. One year I strong-armed my male cousin into going out and blowing his trumet (best use he ever made of it), and my Swiss ancestry neighbor always brought out his Alpen Horn like this