• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do I need a food processor?

AnC

Hello, I need to make a hazelnut paste - instructions say to blitz nuts in a food processor and add a bit of oil (best I can see the consistency needs to be very smooth, somewhere between smooth peanut butter and nutella). I don't own a food processor though. Will a standard blender, coffee grinder or spice grinder be able to blitz the nuts to a powder consistency? If not, will a cheap mini  chopper such as the kenwood CH180 work? If I absolutely cannot use anything other than a food processor, please could I have some recommendations for a decent but cheap one (am in the UK) - will not be something I will use often so if it's easy to store too will be a bonus!

To make truly smooth nut paste you will need a colloid mill or a melanger.  I use a melanger from melangers.com.  When last I checked a few years ago colloid mills were thousands of dollars.  I was shocked to see small colloid mills now selling for a few hundred.  A colloid mill is like a rotor stator homogenizer but it can handle much higher viscosity.  In contrast a melanger uses grinding stones.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'm fairly sure that hazlenut paste has been around a lot longer than food processors, so no, you don't need one.

My mother made it 70 years ago and never possessed such a thing in her life. She used a mortar and pestle, as @Duvelhas said.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

And arm strength/stamina!

Seriously ?! After hiking miles through the forest primeval, fighting off wild boars and oversized leeches, reaching the hazelnut grooves, climbing up the 12 story high trees and plucking the finest hazelnuts with your bare hands, hauling all 260 kg of them back home only in a jute sac on your back, cracking them open one by one between the walls of the old abandoned gym at 45th/Maples and your forehead and finally roasting them in a giant iron skillet over an open flame of a fire you made out of the complain notes of your landlord on the roof of your building, this is the part you think will require strength and stamina ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 9