• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

"More sensible" because...?

(I double checked because I haven't yet finished my own cup of tea, but I don't see an explanation of the Chinese term or its innate logic)

For the simple reason that the drink is more red than black. Brew some 'black' tea and pour it into a glass without cow juice and see what colour it is. China names it for the colour of the infusion; not the dried leaf.

Edited to note:  I did forget to translate 红茶. I have now edited original post.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

"More sensible" because...?

(I double checked because I haven't yet finished my own cup of tea, but I don't see an explanation of the Chinese term or its innate logic)

For the simple reason that the drink is more red than black. Brew some 'black' tea and pour it into a glass without cow juice and see what colour it is. China names it for the colour of the infusion; not the dried leaf.