• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

24. 七里香 (qī lǐ xiāng) – Orange Jasmine – Murraya paniculata

1906201803_.thumb.jpg.4f15cf8f00322d56fb4d8682cec5a053.jpg

Known in English as orange jasmine, orange jessamine, china box or mock orange among other names, these are the unopened flower buds of a small tree found in South Asia, Southeast Asia and Australia. In Chinese, it has at least 19 alternative names that I have found. I’m going with 七里香 (qī lǐ xiāng) as it seems to be the most common.

Despite the name ‘orange jasmine’, it is unrelated to jasmine, but is in the same family as ‘curry leaf’ as used in Indian cuisine. Not that it tastes anything like curry. In fact, it is sweet, mild and floral in taste with a subtle citrusy flavour. It is used to flavour fish and white meats.

The fruit is apparently edible too, but I’ve never seen it here. Opened flowers are used in making floral teas. And, I hardly need saying, it is used in TCM.

547333421_2.thumb.jpg.0ce5fd5e0c1d39bc39a7fca3ec8db61c.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

24. 七里香 (qī lǐ xiāng) – Orange Jasmine – Murraya paniculata

Known in English as orange jasmine, orange jessamine, china box or mock orange among other names, this is the unopened flower buds of a small tree South Asia, Southeast Asia and Australia. In Chinese, it has at least 19 alternative names that I have found. I’m going with 七里香 (qī lǐ xiāng) as it seems to be the most common.

Despite the name ‘orange jasmine’, it is unrelated to jasmine, but is in the same family as ‘curry leaf’ as used in Indian cuisine. Not that it tastes anything like curry. In fact, it is sweet, mild and floral in taste with a subtle citrusy flavour. It is used to flavour fish and white meats.

The fruit is apparently edible too, but I’ve never seen it here. Opened flowers are used in making floral teas. And, I hardly need saying, it is used in TCM.

liuzhou

liuzhou

23. 七里香 (qī lǐ xiāng) – Orange Jasmine – Murraya paniculata

Known in English as orange jasmine, orange jessamine, china box or mock orange among other names, this is the unopened flower buds of a small tree South Asia, Southeast Asia and Australia. In Chinese, it has at least 19 alternative names that I have found. I’m going with 七里香 (qī lǐ xiāng) as it seems to be the most common.