• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

20. 金钱草 (jīn qián cǎo) – Tick Trefoil – Desmodium cajanifolium

1722127154_ticktrefoil.thumb.jpg.e0f36340298ecb881137fcddc0165c5f.jpg

Here is a herb which I’m told comes from Shandong in the north-east of China. It is also used in TCM and is said to boost male virility (overuse may lead to the need for nutmeg!).

It comes under many names but 金钱草 (jīn qián cǎo) seems to be the most common. It literally means  'gold coin grass' as the fresh leaves are believed to resemble said coins.

I have only seen it twice, once in a local restaurant where it was served with stir-fried bull frog. I liked that dish so much that I searched for it and eventually found a large bag of the dried herb in my favourite unusual foods store. I often cooked it with chicken, frog, shrimp, crab etc. I must restock.

802446173_bullfrogwithtick-trefoil.thumb.jpg.4d99a6233fe0806dec6134ce4392ff9f.jpg

Bullfrog with Tick-trefoil

Note: Canada Tick Trefoil, Desmodium canadense is a related but different plant. Does anyone know if that is eaten?

It is also an ingredient in the popular herbal 'tea', sold in bottles, cans and cartons in every store and known as 王老吉 (wáng lǎo jí).

wanglaoji.thumb.jpg.54de6ea5d160f50a628b104a965a5d45.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

19. 金钱草 (jīn qián cǎo) – Tick Trefoil – Desmodium cajanifolium

Here is a herb which I’m told comes from Shandong in the north-east of China. It is also used in TCM and is said to boost male virility (overuse may lead to the need for nutmeg!).

It comes under many names but 金钱草 (jīn qián cǎo) seems to be the most common. It literally means  'gold coin grass' as the fresh leaves are believed to resemble said coins.

I have only seen it twice, once in a local restaurant where it was served with stir-fried bull frog. I liked that dish so much that I searched for it and eventually found a large bag of the dried herb in my favourite unusual foods store. I often cooked it with chicken, frog, shrimp, crab etc. I must restock.

802446173_bullfrogwithtick-trefoil.thumb.jpg.4d99a6233fe0806dec6134ce4392ff9f.jpg

Note: Canada Tick Trefoil, Desmodium canadense is a related but different plant. Does anyone know if that is eaten?

It is also an ingredient in the popular herbal 'tea', sold in bottles, cans and cartons in every store and known as 王老吉 (wáng lǎo jí).

liuzhou

liuzhou

liuzhou

liuzhou

It is also an ingredient in the popular herbal 'tea', sold in cans and cartons in every store and known as 王老吉 (wáng lǎo jí).

liuzhou

liuzhou

It is also an ingredient in the popular herbal 'tea', sold in cans and cartons in every store and known as 王老吉 (wáng lǎo jí).

liuzhou

liuzhou