• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

51 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a packet of Penzeys "Tien Tsin China Chili Peppers."  What might these be?

Tien Tsin is the old romanization of 天津 (Tiān jīn) Tianjin, the large port city in northern China bordering Beijing. Tianjin and other northern cuisine seldom uses chillies.

The chillies are very similar in flavour and strength to those used in Sichuan and Hunan cuisine, but tend to be smaller at about 5 cm / 2 inches long. They are actually a Japanese cultivar that was introduced to China via Tianjin in the late 1970s, hence the name. There is no other connection to the city.

They are not so common in China as they appear to be abroad. The fact that they are using the old romanization tends to support that. It isn't used in China.

liuzhou

liuzhou

39 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a packet of Penzeys "Tien Tsin China Chili Peppers."  What might these be?

Tien Tsin is the old romanization of Tianjin, the port city in northern China bordering Beijing. (Tianjin and other northern cuisine seldom uses chillies.)

The chillies are very similar in flavour and strength to those used in Sichuan and Hunan cuisine, but tend to be smaller at about 5 cm / 2 inches long. They are actually a Japanese cultivar that was introduced to China via Tianjin in the late 1970s, hence the name. There is no other conection to the city.

They are not so common in China as they appear to be abroad. The fact that they are using the old romanization tends to support that. It isn't used in China.

liuzhou

liuzhou

21 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Tien Tsin is the old romanization of Tianjin, the port city in northern China bordering Beijing. (Tianjin and other northern cuisine seldom uses chillies.)

The chillies are very similar in flavour and strength to those used in Sichuan and Hunan cuisine, but tend to be smaller at about 5 cm / 2 inches long. They are actually a Japanese cultivar that was introduced to  China via Tianjin in the late 1970s, hence the name.

liuzhou

liuzhou

21 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The chillies are very similar in flavour and strength to those used in Sichuan and Hunan cuisine, but tend to be smaller at about 5 cm / 2 inches long. They are actually a Japanese cultivar that was introduced to  China via Tianjin in the late 1970s, hence the name.

They are not so common in China as they appear to be abroad.

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The chillies are very similar in flaour and strength to those used in Sichuan and Hunan cuisine, but tend to be smaller at about 5 cm / 2 inches long. They are actually a Japanese cultivar that was introduced to  China via Tianjin in the late 1970s, hence the name.