• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

10. 小茴香 (xiǎo huí xiāng) – Fennel – Foeniculum vulgare

249377229_fennelseeds.thumb.jpg.3a9d3be06bbeb9771b0d728d073874ea.jpg

Fennel Seeds

Fennel is a flowering plant related to carrots and native to the Mediterranean region, but now grown worldwide. It has a fine anise flavour. The seeds, leaves and bulb are all eaten. Here, in China the seeds are ubiquitous and are a main ingredient in five-spice powder. Just as often, though, they are used on their own, featuring in many dishes. Again soups, braises and hot pots are likely to feature fennel seeds. Less often, stir-fries.

The leaves and bulbs are used in northern China, especially Shandong Province, but I’ve never seen them here in the south. I can buy them online, though.

fennel.thumb.jpg.f1ee563157dbc4121637a43c472fcde2.jpg

Fennel Leaf

Do you know the connection between fennel and marathon racing?

liuzhou

liuzhou

10. 小茴香 (xiǎo huí xiāng) – Fennel – Foeniculum vulgare

249377229_fennelseeds.thumb.jpg.3a9d3be06bbeb9771b0d728d073874ea.jpg

Fennel Seeds

Fennel is a flowering plant related to carrots and native to the Mediterranean region, but now grown worldwide. It has a fine anise flavour. The seeds, leaves and bulb are all eaten. Here, in China the seeds are ubiquitous and are a main ingredient in five-spice powder. Just as often, though, they are used on their own, featuring in many dishes. Again soups, braises and hot pots are likely to feature fennel seeds. Less oftem, stir-fries.

The leaves and bulbs are used in northern China, especially Shandong Province, but I’ve never seen them here in the south. I can buy them online, though.

fennel.thumb.jpg.f1ee563157dbc4121637a43c472fcde2.jpg

Fennel Leaf

Do you know the connection between fennel and marathon racing?