• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, heidih said:

There is a good bit of difference as you note and I think we in US are used to cassia. I've had Vietnamese cinnamon (Penzey's distributed in US) and gave it to a friend ho appreciated it.  It would have changed the flavor significantly in my baking which is where I use it most. 

Vietnamese cinnamon is closer to cassia than to true cinnamon. Sri Lankan cinnamon is probably the best for baking, if you can find it.

liuzhou

liuzhou

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

There is a good bit of difference as you note and I think we in US are used to cassia. I've had Vietnamese cinnamon (Penzey's distributed in US) and gave it to a friend ho appreciated it.  It would have changed the flavor significantly in my baking which is where I use it most. 

Vietnamese cinnamon is closer to cassia than to true cinnamon. Sri Lankan cinnamon is probably the best.