• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 7/26/2021 at 9:45 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

Absolutely beautiful! Any chance of you favoring us with a recipe?

Thanks.

Nothing easier. I use equal quantities of ginger and white granulated sugar. Some advocate freezing the ginger first to break down the fibres. I've never found this necessary, but I use young ginger.

The ginger and sugar is simmered for about an hour. Exact timing varies, so just keep testing it for tenderness. I prefer to still have a bit of bite. When it's ready to your satisfaction, let it cool in the syrup, then sprinkle with dry sugar. Bung in fridge.  I have no idea how long it lasts. Usually a couple of days around me!

Keep the syrup. I use it in a seafood salad dressing with lime and orange juice, but that's a whole 'nother story.

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Absolutely beautiful! Any chance of you favoring us with a recipe?

Thanks.

Nothing easier. I use equal quantities of ginger and white granulated sugar. Some advocate freezing the ginger first to break down the fibres. I've never found this necessary, but I use young ginger.

Tte ginger and sugar is simmered for about an hour. Exact timing varies, so just keep testing it for tenderness. I prefer to still have a bit of bite. When it's ready to your satisfaction, let it cool in the syrup, then sprinkle with dry sugar. Bung in fridge.  Ihave no idea how long it lasts. Usually a couple of days around me!

Keep the syrup. I use it in a seafood salad dressing with lime and orange juice, but that's a whole 'nother story.