• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 7/17/2021 at 9:45 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

I have a recipe for something that claims to be Chinese dried meat called Bak Kwa. This is made with pork and I wonder how authentic it is.

Bakkwa is Hokkein for the Mandarin "肉干 (ròu gān)“  which just means "dried meat", although non-specific meat in China (and much of east Asia) just means "pork".

Although Hokkein originated in Fujian province, China and is still spoken there, it is now mainly spoken in the Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia etc as well as Taiwan.

It is "authentic", but usually sweeter than what I call jerky. Also usually smoked.

Would be interested in seeing the recipe.

liuzhou

liuzhou

10 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I have a recipe for something that claims to be Chinese dried meat called Bak Kwa. This is made with pork and I wonder how authentic it is.

Bakkwa is Hokein for the Mandarin "肉干 (ròu gān)“  which just means "dried meat", although non-specific meat in China (and much of east Asia) just means "pork".

Although Hokein originated in Fujian province, China and is still spoken there, it is now mainly spoken in the Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia etc as well as Taiwan.

It is "authentic", but usually sweeter than what I call jerky. Also usually smoked.

Would be interested in seeing the recipe.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Bakkwa is Hokein for the Mandarin "肉干 (ròu gān)“  which just means "dried meat", although non-specific meat in China (and much of east Asia) just means "pork".

Although Hokein originated in China, it is now mainly spoken in the Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia etc as well as Taiwan.