• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

23. 海葡萄 (hǎi pú tao), Sea Grapes, Caulerpa lentillifera

1.thumb.jpg.7af075e970f2e7adf49cb2bf07607599.jpg

Also known as Green Caviar in English, this is a type of seaweed or algae. It was first cultivated in the 1950s in Cebu in the Philppines after it was accidentally introduced to fish ponds. By 1986, it had reached Japan, before being cultivated in Vietnam and China. This lot came from Vietnam.

The seaweed is washed and then brined in a sea-strength solution. This is how I bought it.

16883274_SeaGrapesBag.thumb.jpg.f01e33497cd571323115a76aa3d4d44d.jpg

It is then drained and soaked in cold, fresh water for three minutes and it's ready to eat. At room temperature. It does not react well to either heat or cold.

It tastes of the sea, as you would expect, and has a delicate grassy flavour. But the most important quailty it has is the texture. It is crisp and the bubbles pop audibly in the mouth, like popping candy.

3.thumb.jpg.3c61fb23b8a7d57e5772a7df272ba0e5.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

1.thumb.jpg.7af075e970f2e7adf49cb2bf07607599.jpg

Also known as Green Caviar in English, this is a type of seaweed or algae. It was first cultivated in the 1950s in Cebu in the Philppines after it was accidentally introduced to fish ponds. By 1986, it had reached Japan, before being cultivated in Vietnam and China. This lot came from Beihai in southern Guangxi on the Tonkin Bay, by the border with Vietnam.

The seaweed is washed and then brined in a sea-strength solution. This is how I bought it.

16883274_SeaGrapesBag.thumb.jpg.f01e33497cd571323115a76aa3d4d44d.jpg

It is then drained and soaked in cold, fresh water for three minutes and it's ready to eat. At room temperature. I does not react well to either heat or cold.

It tastes of the sea, as you would expect, and has a delicate grassy flavour. But the most important quailty it has is the texture. It is crisp and the bubbles pop audibly in the mouth, like popping candy.

3.thumb.jpg.3c61fb23b8a7d57e5772a7df272ba0e5.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

Also known as Sea Caviar in English, this is a type of seaweed or algae. It was first cultivated in the 1950s in Cebu in the Philppines after it was accidentally introduced to fish ponds. By 1986, it had reached Japan, before being cultivated in Vietnam and China. This lot came from Beihai in southern Guangxi on the Tonkin Bay, by the border with Vietnam.

The seaweed is washed and then brined in a sea-strength solution. This is how I bought it. It is then drained and soaked in cold, fresh water for three minutes and it's ready to eat. At room temperature. I does not react well to either heat or cold.