• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Robenco15

Robenco15

2 hours ago, FlashJack said:

OK, a probably ill-advised toe in this water:

What thoughts on the MP Pizza podcast by MC?

I have happily bought MC, MB and MP. I think they are (1) extraordinarily valuable works of research and publishing and (2) execrably bad in their writing, editing, indexing and, sometimes,
conception.

I have an extreme aversion to Nathan. His main gig is Intellectual Ventures. That oxymoronically named company is a patent vulture. I also don't like the "worked with Stephen Hawking" thing. That sounds to me like clerking for Clarence Thomas; there have been a lot clerks most of whom have likely become only hacks in good suits.

(Also -- and I've gotta get over this -- to have been CTO at Microsoft is, to me, a badge of utter shame. I have lost so many nights to known-buggy software that shipped, corrupted my files, cause me grief and made my life visibly worse as to never being able to have anything other than utter scorn for Bill Gates and his conspirators. I don't care if Bill eradicates malaria, cures cancer and solves the hydrogen thing. He stole my money and a lot of my life. Don't start me on auto-numbering.)

Back to the podcast. I just listened to the third episode. It's weirdly unfocused and unproduced. Ep 3 was supposedly about flour. I know *a little* about flour. I ended up knowing less. I heard rehearsed nonsense and came away thinking:

1. I sniff a lot of undisclosed commercial affordances and back-scratching going on here (I'm trying to be polite)

2. It's just not interesting

3. Is related to (1) and my off-topic rant: I just don't trust these people. I think they are burning their best asset.

Thoughts?

All that makes sense. I actually really enjoy the Mod Pizza content, but indexing I can see. Bit of a pain. 

I really enjoyed Mod Cuisine @ Home and have the Mod Cuisine Kitchen Manual and have cooked from that with great results so I’m a fan of their work. I’ll actually be getting Mod Bread for Christmas after how much I’ve enjoyed Mod Pizza. 

All that other stuff you mention is totally reasonable, just doesn’t bother me as much. 

Have not listened to the podcast, but probaby won’t. Have a lot of other podcasts I enjoy and need to keep up on. 

Robenco15

Robenco15

2 hours ago, FlashJack said:

OK, a probably ill-advised toe in this water:

What thoughts on the MP Pizza podcast by MC?

I have happily bought MC, MB and MP. I think they are (1) extraordinarily valuable works of research and publishing and (2) execrably bad in their writing, editing, indexing and, sometimes,
conception.

I have an extreme aversion to Nathan. His main gig is Intellectual Ventures. That oxymoronically named company is a patent vulture. I also don't like the "worked with Stephen Hawking" thing. That sounds to me like clerking for Clarence Thomas; there have been a lot clerks most of whom have likely become only hacks in good suits.

(Also -- and I've gotta get over this -- to have been CTO at Microsoft is, to me, a badge of utter shame. I have lost so many nights to known-buggy software that shipped, corrupted my files, cause me grief and made my life visibly worse as to never being able to have anything other than utter scorn for Bill Gates and his conspirators. I don't care if Bill eradicates malaria, cures cancer and solves the hydrogen thing. He stole my money and a lot of my life. Don't start me on auto-numbering.)

Back to the podcast. I just listened to the third episode. It's weirdly unfocused and unproduced. Ep 3 was supposedly about flour. I know *a little* about flour. I ended up knowing less. I heard rehearsed nonsense and came away thinking:

1. I sniff a lot of undisclosed commercial affordances and back-scratching going on here (I'm trying to be polite)

2. It's just not interesting

3. Is related to (1) and my off-topic rant: I just don't trust these people. I think they are burning their best asset.

Thoughts?

All that makes sense. I actually really enjoy the Mod Pizza content, but indexing I can see. Bit of a pain. 

I really enjoyed Mod Cuisine @ Home and have the Mod Cuisine Kitchen Manual and have cooked from that with great results so I’m a fan of their work. I’ll actually be getting Mod Bread for Christmas after how much I’ve enjoyed Mod Pizza. 

All that other stuff you mention is totally reasonable, just doesn’t bother me as much.